US custom clearance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubbles below

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm trying to make reservations for my return flights from Freeport, Grand Bahamas to Phx. Is 1:15 mins enough time to clear US custom? My layovers choses are Charlotte, Atlanta, or Miami and their minimum layovers are 1:15mins. I'm confused, I usually try to have a 3 hrs layovers to clear custom. Someone told me you clear custom in Freeport and not when you enter the USA. Can some one clear my confusion, please.

You clear Bahamas outbound and walk about 100' and clear US Customs/Immigration in the Freeport Airport. That's been in place in both Nassau and Freeport for decades.
Preclearance Locations | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

If all your flights are on the same airline, you can check your bags straight thru also.

Personally I'd go thru Charlotte if you can. Miami always seems to be under construction and Atlanta is the busiest airport in the world so about my least favorite. Out last couple times thru Charlotte on Saturday mornings have almost been pleasant, short walks, no crowds.

The only consideration with Charlotte is that being the former U.S. Airways hub American owns four of the five concourses and have probably 75 or so gates so connections can be a walk sometimes - especially to the end of Concourse E which probably has 1/2 their gates itself. If you're not on AA, all the other airlines use Concourse A only so they're all close by.

In general to reduce wait times think "GOES" Global Entry https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes also called Trusted Traveler, NEXUS, ... You use a machine that wants your passport and your fingerprints. No need to talk to a human.

But it does not apply in this situation as you will clear customs at your departure point. In this case it is doubtful that GOES will speed you through.

We enrolled in NEXUS multiple years ago and have enjoyed front of the line benefits in and out of Toronto and Houston. Eventually Charlotte also got GOES kiosks (or maybe I have Houston & Charlotte backwards?).

This page Airports with Global Entry Kiosks | U.S. Customs and Border Protection provides a list of airports with GOES kiosks. Nassau is on the list...although my only trip to Nassau a few years ago included concierge airport service (about $35 per person?) that zoomed us by everything, with a free beer or rum punch tossed in.

I second the trusted traveler route, much much easier.

If you look HERE, you will find a list of airports outside the US that have TSA checkpoints.
Freeport is one of them.
You go through the TSA screening there, before your first flight, and there is no need to do it again on your layover. Just get off your plane, and walk to the gate for your connecting flight. You might even have time to stop for a drink at one of the many over-priced bars available.

Even when you won't need to clear customs in the US, you can still easily suck up an hour with delays, walking to a distant gate, whatever. I would lean towards Charlotte as the most civilized of those 3 airports. I avoid MIA whenever possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom