US Divers/ Aqua Lung.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PugetDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Like many divers I have had problems finding the right mask. Last month I had the opportunity to try a new mask. It was the Avalon by US Divers professional series (I know it is an inexpensive mask). Knowing that this mask was made by Aqualung and that it fit very nicely, I decided to take it on a 2 dives (40' and the next day 75') in the Virgin Islands. To my surprise it was very comfortable and very little water entered the mask. After this experience, I decided to make this mask part of my permanent gear.

To be clear that the marketing of the mask was accurate, I decided to e-mail Aqualung. I asked them if this "Professional series" US Divers mask (Mask has tempered glass lens and looks just like any other Scuba mask) was suitable for Scuba. Here was their response:

Good afternoon ,
My name is Frankie and I will be helping you with your question. The Avalon mask is made for snorkeling and would not recommend for diving. I spoke to the people in the sporting goods department and they would not recommend you use it at depth past 10 feet; it is just a snorkeling mask.

Frankie Villegas
Customer Service
Sea Quest/Aqua Lung/Apeks

Anyone else feel that this company has some liability issues? Nowhere on the packaging does it say limited to 10' or “Not for Scuba”. There is also a "Tech" series line of US Divers masks. I think Frankie needs to discuss this with more than some guy in the back warehouse. I am wondering if this is a case of Aqualung throwing their inexpensive product line under the bus? Reflections?

US Divers is cheap junk. I think Aqua Lung was very honest about things here. I may not say 10 foot limit on the packaging but it is marketed as a snorkling mask. But some people want cheap stuff, right? :)

Al Mialkovsky:
US Divers is cheap junk. I think Aqua Lung was very honest about things here. I may not say 10 foot limit on the packaging but it is marketed as a snorkling mask. But some people want cheap stuff, right? :)

Al,

I beg to differ, the mask was $24.00 about a $10.00 savings from a Cressi Big Eyes (Which I already own). Its not about the money dude! The mask fits me very well and I like the look of it. This mask in my opinion is NOT marketed for snorkeling only. "Profesional Series" and "Tech Series" US Divers, does not sound like a snorkeling mask to me.

Markings and marketing strategy aside, you obviously had concerns about using the mask for scuba which is what led you to contact the company in the first place. Congratulations on your observational skills and for having the good sense to go to Aqualung for clarification.

You have a mask that you like - it fits well, looks stylish and was cheap. Unfortunately, the company has told you that it is not suitable for scuba. Personally, I'd take it back and resume the search for the perfect mask, but that's just me - you're an adult and can do as you wish.

Your implication is that the mask was being marketed by both the store and the company to scuba divers. For what it's worth, U.S. Divers used to be a great company, sadly this is no longer true. According to the Aqualung website :
U.S. Diver's offers a full range of masks, fins, snorkels, and accessories for the recreational snorkeler. The U.S. Diver's product line offers both quality and value to enhance the snorkeling experience.​
I don't know what the box said, but if you feel like you were misled I can only suggest that you continue to be suspicious of both the manufacturer and the dealer where you purchased the gear.

You found a mask with a good price, it works, what is the problem?

The product line was meant for large department stores (Walmart)and sporting goods stores(Dicks & Sportmart). You can figure it out. If it works in the first 10 feet of water, will it work in the next 10-20 feet? What affects it as you go deeper? Now that I have probably made you think. Is Aqualung worried about liability or are they worried that a Dive Store sees this cheap equipment that works that is being sold at above mentioned stores. It is a marketing ploy to get potential divers to buy their equipment at a dive store (do you buy your reg at Walmart?)

You saved money. be happy

reefraff:
Markings and marketing strategy aside, you obviously had concerns about using the mask for scuba which is what led you to contact the company in the first place. Congratulations on your observational skills and for having the good sense to go to Aqualung for clarification.

You have a mask that you like - it fits well, looks stylish and was cheap. Unfortunately, the company has told you that it is not suitable for scuba. Personally, I'd take it back and resume the search for the perfect mask, but that's just me - you're an adult and can do as you wish.

Your implication is that the mask was being marketed by both the store and the company to scuba divers. For what it's worth, U.S. Divers used to be a great company, sadly this is no longer true. According to the Aqualung website :

I don't know what the box said, but if you feel like you were misled I can only suggest that you continue to be suspicious of both the manufacturer and the dealer where you purchased the gear.

Please guys, its not about the money. You don't get into this sport to save money LOL! My wife actually got this mask originally for my son and then I tried it myself in the pool. I decided to use this mask on my dive as it felt, looked like any other dive mask. I was surprised by its performance but wanted to get clarification on its intended use (hey it was bought at Big 5 not my LDS).

Did Aqualung purchase US Divers? If so it sounds like they sunk the line. You are right; I won't use the mask for diving, as it is not worth it. I do however believe that this company (US DIVERS) due to its history in the "Scuba" industry is really putting their neck out for a lawsuit. These masks should state specifically that they are not for Scuba Diving and are for recreational snorkeling only. My search will continue....

Can someone explain to me what makes a mask unsuitable for diving below 10ft?

wedivebc:
Can someone explain to me what makes a mask unsuitable for diving below 10ft?
A flimsy mask not only is cheaper to make, but tends to fit better since the silicone can stretch and flex to fit a wider variety of faces.

The US Divers masks are engineered to compete in the snorkel market, not the scuba market. Robust reliability isn't an issue, inasmuch as the user is already at the surface and a failure doesn't result in anyone getting hurt. The snorkel market is all about price and appearance, reliability and functional quality are less important. The manufacturer can charge less by user lower grade/thinner glass and silicone than would be acceptable in a situation where failure results in dangers to the user.

Or so I'm told.

reefraff:
A flimsy mask not only is cheaper to make, but tends to fit better since the silicone can stretch and flex to fit a wider variety of faces.

The US Divers masks are engineered to compete in the snorkel market, not the scuba market. Robust reliability isn't an issue, inasmuch as the user is already at the surface and a failure doesn't result in anyone getting hurt. The snorkel market is all about price and appearance, reliability and functional quality are less important. The manufacturer can charge less by user lower grade/thinner glass and silicone than would be acceptable in a situation where failure results in dangers to the user.

Or so I'm told.
Thanks reefraff, I used to be a USD/Aqualung dealer and this is the first time I have heard of USD making only snorkel stuff. It must be something new.

I also have one of the cheap U S Divers(aka Aqua Lung) masks I bought at Wal Mart to leave on my boat. It fits great and is low volumn. I believe the only difference between it and a higher priced mask is it is made of clear vinyl instead of silicone which reduces the cost. It also has that vinyl smell like an inflatable pool. I can't possibly see any safety or other reason it can't be used for scuba at any depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom