US Divers Shredder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

renpirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am currently doing some research on new fins for our swiftwater rescue team. I was wondering if any of you have tried out these fins and what your opinions are on them. We have been using the Churchills, but I would like something that can fit more than one size foot.

I'm not a fan of split fins but anything, split or not, will be an improvement over Churchills.

At that price get a pair or two and try them. Don't forget to let us know how they worked.

Gary D.

How about Jets? What to you think about them?

Randy43068:
How about Jets? What to you think about them?

I am a personal fan of jets and use them for diving. However, they aren't quite the tool for this job. I was doing some training in the river the other day with the team and trying out different dive fins. I tried both my jets and my twin jets. The jets gave me lots of power and I could easily push right up and into the boat. The twins just didn't give me the same power, but they didn't tire me out as much. However, both sets of fins were just too big for walking. This is one of the things you have to take into account. Some times you are in the water, sometimes you need a good footing among the rocks. Having too much of a blade length is difficult.

I think I have convinced the chief to get two pair to try them out. I will post a report after I test them out. Our river is running fairly quick right now so its a good time to test them.

I am still open to other suggestions or comments.

Gary, What do you guys use for your team?

renpirate:
Gary, What do you guys use for your team?
Frogs all around but we just haven't found a good Swift Water fin that we don't overpower.

Keep us posted on your results. They're cheap enough so we just might try a pair.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
Frogs all around but we just haven't found a good Swift Water fin that we don't overpower.

Keep us posted on your results. They're cheap enough so we just might try a pair.

Gary D.

Will do.

I promised that I would give some feedback on these fins once I had tested them. I just got done doing a Swiftwater Tech class with my team and we brought these fins along. We all used them during the weekend, except the chief who used his jetfins. Over the course of three days we tested them in the areas of power, manueverability, ease of walking around on the bank and maintaining our footing in moving water.

First off this fin fits easily over all types of booties or river boots. It also has the advantage of tuly being a one size fits most. This means it can easily be used by different people, as opposed to the Churchills. The straps are very robust and have a second strap that wraps around the ankle. It adds extra time, which is bad, but it helps secure your fin in case a strap or buckle breaks. This did happen to one of the other participants who was also using this fin. On the downside, getting the fin off in a hurry wasn't that easy.

The fin does not come out even with the sole of the booty, but about an inch above it. This makes it easier to walk around in. The sole also has rubber treads to help give traction when walking along the bank. We all found this fin very easy to walk in, even directly forward.

In the water, the fin had both pluses and minuses. It didn't have the immediate power that is needed for hopping into a boat or making a quick surge. However, it was a very manueverable fin. It was good at making quick turns and the short blade wasn't as awkward when trying to stand and wade in current.

As far as fins for swiftwater rescue, they are very versatile. I can't say that I am completely happy with them, because they lack quick power. However, I am not sure that you can get that and have a short fin. I think they could get rid of the split fin and perhaps add a short jetfin style fin with the shredder foot pocket.

I hope this helps.

Good job.

Thanks a bunch and I'll pass the info onto the team.

Hummmm, I wonder how they would be with the split temp. closed?

Gary D.

Gary D.:
Hummmm, I wonder how they would be with the split temp. closed?

Gary D.

It would be interesting to try. If you try it let me know.

Back
Top Bottom