US Navy Dive School Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting...

The late Connie Limbaugh and Dr. Andy Rechnitzer of Scripps Institute of Oceanography aka SIO developed the first recognized diving program in the 1950s

In early 1954 the late Bevlee Morgan & Dr. Al Tillman of the LA county life guard/ recreation department along with Ramsey Parks traveled to San Diego and were instructed by the SIO staff on the principles of diving. They returned to LA and created the LA County Underwater instructors program, published the LA Co training manual Underwater Safety. later changed to Underwater Recreation, to teach selected divers to become LA Co Certified Underwater Instructors via Underwater Instructors Certification Course - (the acronym SCUBA was not in common usage) Next Saturday they will be celebrating their 66 UICC graduation. (Many have applied for the program, a select few are accepted, only the best graduate )

The USN did not have a underwater (SCUBA) Training program until October 16. 1956 with the publication of NAVSHIPS 250-538, several years after SIO and 2 -1/2 years after UIA was developed. There are many similarities in the training policies and procedures which are based on previously developed SIO and LA UICC.

Therefore effective dive training can be traced back to SIO to LA CO and finally USN...

Sam MillerIII

Master Diver asks who has their PADI certification already.

I don't believe I ever knew a US Navy Master Diver that would use "PADI" and "certification" in the same sentence. I was a certified civilian Scuba diver for about 8 years before starting Second Class Diving School in San Diego. Let's just say that any knowledge I brought with me was not well received.

Sea Story:
A Chief loudly excised a large portion of my backside for explaining residual Nitrogen to another student who asked me during a break. He didn't object to my explanation, only that residual nitrogen had not been covered in class or in assigned reading yet. His attitude changed a bit when he came through the saturation diving school a few years later and I was one of the instructors and team leaders.

Coincidentally, two of my Second Class School instructors came through the sat school and another one was on the Mark II Deep Dive System when I got there. Two of the three became Master Divers. One was on the Doria with us. Small world.

I don't believe I ever knew a US Navy Master Diver that would use "PADI" and "certification" in the same sentence. I was a certified civilian Scuba diver for about 8 years before starting Second Class Diving School in San Diego. Let's just say that any knowledge I brought with me was not well received.

Sea Story:
A Chief loudly excised a large portion of my backside for explaining residual Nitrogen to another student who asked me during a break. He didn't object to my explanation, only that residual nitrogen had not been covered in class or in assigned reading yet. His attitude changed a bit when he came through the saturation diving school a few years later and I was one of the instructors and team leaders.

Coincidentally, two of my Second Class School instructors came through the sat school and another one was on the Mark II Deep Dive System when I got there. Two of the three became Master Divers. One was on the Doria with us. Small world.

I figured it was just a generalization, PADI being a well known certifying agency. I went through Navy SCUBA as a dive instructor, but definitely didn't share that tidbit with my instructors!

Back
Top Bottom