USAF's $11mill Cyber Offensive Project - Big Brother ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melicertes

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
It appears the USAF is starting a $11 million study to assemble a collection of hardware and software tools for "Dominant Cyber Offensive Engagement" which will include, amongst other things, "high risk, high payoff capabilities for gaining access to any remotely located open or closed computer information systems; these systems enabling full control of a network for the purposes of information gathering and effects based operations. Of interest are any and all techniques to enable user and/or root level access to both fixed (PC) or mobile computing platforms. Robust methodologies to enable access to any and all operating systems, patch levels, applications and hardware are of interest. Also, we are interested in technology to provide the capability to maintain an active presence within the adversaries' information infrastructure completely undetected. Of interest are any and all techniques to enable stealth and persistence capabilities on an adversaries infrastructure. This could be a combination of hardware and/or software focused development efforts."

Hmmm...kinda gets my red warning light flashing as it leads me to wonder how long it will be before we have Big Brother in full control of our PC's, Cell Phones, PDA's etc. :11:
Check out the details here: https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportu...85d28f700a870&tab=core&_cview=0&cck=1&au=&ck=

Hmmm...kinda gets my red warning light flashing as it leads me to wonder how long it will be before we have Big Brother in full control of our PC's, Cell Phones, PDA's etc.

1. We already are.

2. Your webcam is on.

3. That was really disgusting- stop it. :11:

you forgot to mention the USAF's desire to make a military botnet. But the reality is cyberspace is becoming a warzone for countries and the military is going to be expected to fight international threats from abroad. I personally prefer an established military group like the USAF with much more public oversight then some super secret group like what Homeland Security is developing to do the same thing, but domestically.

Report: Government's Cyber Security Plan Is Riddled With New Spying Programs | Threat Level from Wired.com
its a good read with some good links talking about how the different agencies are trying to be the ones to control the cyber warfare stuff.

If it's a computer it's fair game, for both sides. Microsoft can turn off most of the world's computers with xp or higher, tomorrow (there is a govt edition that doesn't need to call home, in case home isn't there). If they can do it, an offshore software company can. If an offshore company can, a foreign government can. Our government definitely has something to worry about.

While they're at it, could they destroy the marketeers, spammers, malware, spyware entities.

I'd love to see the govt come up with a weapon that would deliver 440v into the keyboards of the people that think my computer is for their use.

Years ago there was a saying "If you wouldn't put it on the bulletin board, don't put it on a computer"

While they're at it, could they destroy the marketeers, spammers, malware, spyware entities.
I'd love to see the govt come up with a weapon that would deliver 440v into the keyboards of the people that think my computer is for their use.
I am so with you on that one!

Years ago there was a saying "If you wouldn't put it on the bulletin board, don't put it on a computer"
Exactly.
:coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom