Use of pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On our Supervisors Course..., they are trained that in any emergency the FIRST thing to ask the diver after finding out what the issue is..., "What is your depth and PSI?" The Sup then makes the call on whether or not to send the bottle.

There has been a little playing around with a coupling on the KM block to allow the safety to simply plug a new tank into the diver..., allowing him to keep his vision, comms and encapsulation but it is still at the 'just playing' stage. (Similar to what Interspiro has done with their new complete system that turns a diver from SCUBA to SSAD on the fly)

If you have voice comms this will work (also assuming the diver can see his gauges - he might not be always able to).

We're set up this way. A quick coupler on the contingency bottle and the pony allows switching tanks from the block. It works slick.

We all dive a 30 cu ft pony in addition to our main tank. We start our dives with full tanks. We use "pony tamer" brackets to allow the pony to be "passed off" if need be. We run KM blocks and our ponies are on a QD coupler the same size as our surface supplied air hose and contingency bottle.

We pratice OOA situations with a simple hose exchange to give the OOA diver air from the pony. We work on more complex OOA situations such as an entanglement and the movement and delivery of the contingency bottle and finally setting up the surface supplied air unit and getting the hose to the entangled diver so air is no longer an issue.

Handing off a bottle is not always the way to go. Depending on the situation, the contingency bottle may be more appropriate and the delivery of a surface supplied line will give you tons of time to work out the rest of the situation.

Pratice will help make people comforatable in doing this. It will also build muscle memory and confidence to perform when faced with a real situation.

we usually have a diver on top near the boat ready to go, also have a second scuba tank with regulator. so if extended dive time due to entanglement hopefully give us enough extra air time for same.

Every diver should have their own pony cylinder as a redundant back-up air supply. Ponys should not be used to pass air to another diver. Our back-up divers deploy into the water with our DRD which is a full 80 with a regulator on it and a line (among other things) that can be connected into the distressed diver's set-up. Each diver needs his own pony cylinder. In the PSD world, you can't assume that the back-up diver won't have an issue and need to utilize it.

How do you know when you'll need the redundant air supply?
99.9% of time you won't need it so it would be like bringing the hazmat team out on every alarms call "just in case".
Like everything, you have to weigh the risk/benefit factor here. Bringing an extra AL80 down all the time is a PIA and if thats your procedure there will come a time when the team will short-cut and not bring it and might actually need the option of passing an air supply - without a detachable pony you'll either leave the guy to drown or give him your octo (if you have one) and both drown.
We can all claim that our team will never short-cut but be honest. We tend to short cut on things that aren't as "likely" to be needed. If they are also a PIA that increases the risk that much more.
Passing a pony is a great alternative and is more than adequate for the BU to return with more air if its needed. The chance of the BU being unable to surface after passing his pony probably a million to 1 - he's travelling different angles, more alert to entanglements, not in the entanglement prone area (mostly mid-water). Also don't forget that he has a FULL 80 on his back and another diver fully prepared to back HIM up.
No need to complicate things more

How complicated is it for everyone to have their own pony cylinder?? They're small and don't weigh much, why not have it just in case? In my opinion, it's easier to know that every diver on your operation, no matter if they are primary, back-up, or 90% will have two separate air sources if necessary. Sure, odds are that you may never need the pony, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

JFA

I think you misunderstand. Every diver DOES have his own pony but the option of passing it off should not be overlooked as it creates a lot of choices you wouldn't have if it was a fixed peice of equipment as I've tried to explain a few times. Have a look at the whole thread if you haven't already

Actually, up here our federal and provincial regulations make it manditory to carry a pony when diving tethered solo PSD

I wouldn't trade my slung 40cf pony for anything when I'm not diving doubles. The clips are secured to the tank by a nylon strap. It can be cut away if it was to become entangled. If you want to hard mount it to your back why not just get a pair of doubles?

I wouldn't trade my slung 40cf pony for anything when I'm not diving doubles. The clips are secured to the tank by a nylon strap. It can be cut away if it was to become entangled. If you want to hard mount it to your back why not just get a pair of doubles?

doubles are no good for PSD work. Overkill for a 20min dive in less than 60ft. Not to mention that they don't deploy to easy or fast

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom