Use of Underwater Communications

Does your PS Dive Team have/use UW Comms?

• No - our team does not have/use UW Comms

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • YES -- Our Team uses UW Comms from OTS

Votes: 25 78.1%
  • YES -- Our Team uses UW Comms from OceanReef

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • YES -- Our Team uses UW Comms from another vendor

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OTS Comms

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am trying to determine what % of PS Dive Teams use underwater communications and who their supplier is. This will be useful in determining the features and pricing of upcoming offerings. If you would be so kind to include a post on WHY you don't use underwater comms, of if you do, what changes you might like to see, we will include that in our analysis.

Thanks!

We started out with the Ocean Reef Mask/coms, but I had one fail on an ice dive @ 70 feet, so I couldnt trust them any more. When I became team leader, we sold all 8 of them, and purchased 2 AGA's. We now have 3. Our surface unit is still Ocean Reef though. We couldnt swing the purchase of the OTS, since we had one already that "works" After doing some mutual aid training around the state, and hearing the quality and range of the OTS system, we plan on someday trying for the funds for that system.

Our team uses the Yellow Silicone AGA masks (now Divator) with the non positive pressure regulators or demand regulators. These still provide a positive pressure if you crack the seal but they do not erupt into a free flow like the full positive pressure masks do. (Sorry off topic but I do like to be thorough).

We use OTS wired comms. We have an MK-2 and MK-7 surface unit. We like the MK-7 better for operations becuase it is small. The MK-2 is good for demonstrations and training since it offers more diver connections and a surface speaker so others can hear.

We evaluated both OTS wired and wireless comms. Since our team does everything with a rope combined with the lower cost we went with 4 wire Hi use connector wired system.

There are some short comings with the wireless like line of site and water clarity which can affect communications. Also wireless are PTT versus VOX for wired. You can set your wireless to vox but you burn through batteries a lot quicker. Battery maintenance is also another issue with the wireless since there are more batteries. The wireless system is great but for our applications and funding wired was the better choice.

As for problems with the wired system we have only had a few. The Hi use connectors can get corroded and we had intermittent scratchy audio. We had a couple of connectors break when water froze in the connector and we attempted to plug it in unaware that the ice was there. Diligence in cleaning and some protective caps to protect the conectors when not in use and the system has been great. We had two mics that went bad and they were replaced with the hot mics and again no further problems.

The only other "problem" which is not related to the communications is that divers who have been diving for many years with the standard configurations found it difficult to switch to a full face mask. Once they had some time diving with the mask they go used to using it.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Mark

P.S. Not to violate any board policies but 7 years ago when we expressed interest in evaluating the OTS gear Michael R. Pelissier, President/CEO himself brought out three large cases of demo gear and spent the better part of a day with us both in a class room and in the water giving us ample time to review all components. I was able to dive wired, wireless full com and wireless buddy phone. They also helped us in service our new gear after we purchased it. We were very happy with the high level of customer service they provided. I am not making any official endorsement just conveying my personal experience.

hardwire, Mk 7, EMA 2 configuration has worked well for us.

Some things I may change just to be nit-picky:

surface headsets - 1 ear peice instead of 2 to hear whats going on top side

put an actual on/off switch on the MK7. Preference would be to keep everything all connected all the time

diving ear peices - the stiching on the neoprene ear flaps holding the earphones in place is poor.

Just my opinion but I think they work great over all. Very happy with them

our team doesnt use U/W comm as of yet... but I know after our PSD course we just took, we are putting in for a grant to help purchase a set, AGA masks and hard wire comms. I cant say forsure whos units we have put in for, thats the captains job. We just use what they will provide.
Clay

Our team uses OTS wired comms we have 4 aga's and an exo-26 all with hotmics. The system works nicely. I have never used the wireless, and our team doesn't plan on converting due to inwater obstructions and thermoclines affecting the through water transmissions. My only complaint with OTS gear is the price-tag (and I mean no disrespect, their products are very nice). As with most dive rescue teams an entire budget year could be spent just on a simple one or two diver setup. Bigger departments may not have these issues, but currently our department is the only one in our region of the state that has any type of underwater communications.

Back
Top Bottom