Used MK25 EVO / G260 set worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gi0

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Planning to buy my first reg set. I've come across a deal for a MK25 EVO / G260 reg set for about $525 (converted from PHP). Seller said it was bought last year, has about 30 dives, and never serviced. I'm in no rush to purchase. Is this fair deal? What should I be looking for when I check it out?

Here's what's included:
  • Scubapro MK25 EVO DIN
  • G260
  • R195
  • Halcyon spg
  • With bag
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1370100511.jpeg_1537888552476.jpeg Screenshot_20180924-221850.png Screenshot_20180924-221904.png Screenshot_20180924-221909.png Screenshot_20180924-221914.png

Thanks for the help! :)

If in working condition, that's a great price. You have over USD1000 worth of equipment at half-price. Too good to be true?

I dive the exact same setup. Fantastic reg set. You won't regret using it.

What he said. Put an IP gage on it as a check (or bring it into your LDS for a quick look). If it locks up around 135, buy a necklace for your 2nd and go dive it.

Thanks for the replies! I think I'll be getting it this weekend. The seller lives 2 hours away, and it may be difficult to have it tested at a dive store before purchasing. Is there a way to visually inspect it without pressurising the system?

I plan to take it straight to my LDS to have it serviced & converted to a longhose setup.

The reg is well worth it. Don't worry about testing the IP. Simply get it and have it serviced as you stated in your last sentence.

Thanks! Looks like the seller and I can't find a common time to meet on the weekend. Woud it be totally crazy to have it sent by courier without inspecting it? Seller seems trustworthy.

Do you realize it’s DIN? If you don’t own your own tanks are there DIN tanks available to you?

It looks like it has a fair bit of corrosion on it, like it wasn’t rinsed off after use (this is how the pics make it look to me at least) if it were stored in the bag wet there is a chance that there is mildew which can permeate the plastic parts, not easy to get rid of the taste and smell.

I wouldn’t buy this sight unseen unless you use a payment method that will refund your money. On the surface it seems like a great deal, if I’m wrong about the condition and the seller is reliable and you can use DIN it is a good deal.

Do you realize it’s DIN? If you don’t own your own tanks are there DIN tanks available to you?

It looks like it has a fair bit of corrosion on it, like it wasn’t rinsed off after use (this is how the pics make it look to me at least) if it were stored in the bag wet there is a chance that there is mildew which can permeate the plastic parts, not easy to get rid of the taste and smell.

I wouldn’t buy this sight unseen unless you use a payment method that will refund your money. On the surface it seems like a great deal, if I’m wrong about the condition and the seller is reliable and you can use DIN it is a good deal.

Thanks for the keen observations! I insisted that we meet on Saturday & requested for additional pictures. Pictures might save me a 4-hour trip if you're correct, but fingers crossed that you're wong.

Yes, I'm actually looking for a DIN reg. Most places I frequent have DIN tanks available, but I'll be sure to bring a DIN adaptor to be sure.

Expect to pay around $150 for service on it.

and that's why if you can get your hands on an IP gage, you can see whether it needs service or just a cleaning/tuning. If it truly has only 30 dives on it and wasn't totally abused (put away salty and wet), I'm wouldn't open it up to service it unless you really want the warm tummy feeling of having all new soft goods - assuming it passes visual, doesn't leak and breathes well. A rock steady IP and no leaks would be a reg set I would dive on. Keep monitoring the IP and until it starts to creep there shouldn't be any concerns - assuming hoses are good, no excessive corrosion, etc. IP gages are fairly cheap ($20ish) and give you great insight into most regulator issues. Most simply need a re-tune on the 2nd stage rather than a full rebuild. good luck with your purchase

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom