Question Used SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure I understand what "a pretty good deal" means in this context. A SPG is not an expensive piece of equipment. A beat up and scratched SPG from an unknown seller does not sound like a pretty good deal to me at all.

Scratches fill in with water when submerged. No longer an issue. Use it as is.
SPGs are generally durable, the most aged out 80's garbage gear that has been stored poorly in a garage and is ready for a landfill probably still has a good SPG on it. Probably the only thing still usable. They are probably the most durable piece of gear you can find new for a decent price. Buying one used, check what they go for new first. Don't get caught up with brands, most are made in the same place that just print different logos on the background.

This is the same spg from DGX. Made in Italy, brass case and plastic lens for $49.

Ug ogh ugg ogg ugh garbage put 80's garbage rubbish put in landfill ogg ugg belch scratch fart

Ug ogh ugg ogg ugh garbage put 60's double hose garbage in landfill ogg ugg belch scratch fart

Ug ogh ugg ogg ugh garbage put 80's garbage rubbish put in landfill ogg ugg belch scratch fart

Ug ogh ugg ogg ugh garbage put 60's double hose garbage in landfill ogg ugg belch scratch fart
I think you need a reality check. Not every piece of 60's dive gear is a double hose regulator made of metal. I had a 60's mask that was stored in a basement for several decades. The glass was still good as was the metal strap adjusters. The rest of the rubber was a crispy mess. The beaver tail wetsuit shattered when flexed. That stuff is gone. All that is left are double hose regulators that people collect.
Get into the 80s gear. The plastic content has increased. The plastics that don't age well. Look at just about any Craig's list in the country and you will find a ton of 80's (and now getting into the 90s) dive gear that someone bought and just stored. The BC can't hold air. The wetsuits are stiff as cardboard and will fall apart if actually tried to use. It isn't usable, it isn't safe, it can't be made safe. Manufacturers are out of business (Dacor) and you can't get parts to fix the stuff. It's landfill material. It isn't old enough to be "collectible". It's not rare enough to be "collectible". In order to be a collector item, most have to go to scrap. Only the really good stuff will survive. Much like an old collector car, they were junked 100 to 1 to what survives.

Back
Top Bottom