Wanted User serviceable double-hose regulator and hoses ADVICE?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm starting this thread in order to not hijack another thread that is offering some interesting options: Tired of this pair of tanks.

To those in the know:

How does one handle having only DIN cylinders/tanks?

Looking for a 'workhorse' dual hose regulator, not a 'classic' unless they happen to be the same thing.

How long do these hoses last and are there replacements?

I need to be able to get service parts.

What is it about DH regs that I likely don't know and should ask before buying one?

Basically all of the common ones are user serviceable and upgradeable from Vintage Double Hose. The Argonaut Kraken is available in DIN and is the only convenient one for DIN. If you have 200bar convertible valves then I would personally use the inserts though.
Silicone hoses last basically forever, and replacements for all of the common double hoses through VDH

Pick guys like @couv @Luis H and @herman 's brain and look through their posts as they are true experts on the subject

welcome to the dark side.....

FWIW - I had ordered a Phoenix first stage (VDH modern replacement) that was available in DIN at the time. Pandemic has put a pause in VDH's suppliers, so it is uncertain if/when stuff will be returning.... tough time to be taking this project on....

My first year of Steve's Ice Class I dove my Kraken, but after that brought the DIN pimped old one....

careful, it is an addiction...

I'm starting this thread in order to not hijack another thread that is offering some interesting options: Tired of this pair of tanks.

To those in the know:

How does one handle having only DIN cylinders/tanks?

Looking for a 'workhorse' dual hose regulator, not a 'classic' unless they happen to be the same thing.

How long do these hoses last and are there replacements?

I need to be able to get service parts.

What is it about DH regs that I likely don't know and should ask before buying one?
As for DIN valves.... as Tbone mentioned convertible valves may be your friend. Not a lot of options available for DIN doublehosers (only ones I'm aware of are VDH Kraken and VDH Phoenix, but as rhwestfall pointed out the Rona has them on a manufacturing hiatus).

For a workhorse, pretty much DAAM (DA Aquamaster) or RAM (Royal Aquammaster) are the easy answer. Parts available, pretty simple, hookah port can be adapted as a LP take off for alternate/inflator/whatever. Only difference between the two is that a RAM is balanced, and a DAAM is not (but the IP increases as the tank pressure drops... so they breathe better as you go!). If you get a RAM, just get a Hookah adapter for it and either a tank with an HP port, or a banjo fitting and you're good to go. If you get a DAAM, adding a Cyclone first stage from VDH (if they have them in stock) effectively turns them into a RAM.

Outside of those two you start getting a little more in the weeds with parts availability and LP ports (single stages don't have LP at all).

Hoses can be found through a few resources... silicone, NOS neoprene rubber, and EPDM. I have a couple that I'm using surplus gas mask hoses on. Mouth pieces as well can be had through the usual vintage suppliers (used old stock, new silicone, and VDH makes a DSV for them).

Check out VDH forum, and vintage scuba proboards... there's a wealth of knowledge on both, though vintage scuba proboards leans more towards the more esoteric ones.

Supply resources:

About Us
Store | Vintage Double Hose
https://www.silentexplorers.com/online-store/Vintage-c26059793

Forums:
https://vintagescuba.proboards.com/
Vintage Double Hose - Index page

Respectfully,

James

As rhwestfall says, they are an addiction! I started with a DAAM that I put a Cyclone first and HPR 2nd into from VDH.... now I have that, a stock DAAM, a stock RAM, and a Healthways SCUBA currently ready to dive. In the "working on it" pile is another SCUBA, a Mistral, a DACOR Lung, and a whole new project that's still under wraps!

But most of it is covered in VDH's doublehose 101 post in their forums. Positioning of the reg is critical for the subjective feel of how it breathes.

Respectfully,

James

@lowviz - My DH collection started backwards with purchasing a Kraken during the crowdfund campaign. It helped me by getting a "turn key" ready to dive DH to learn about. Love that reg, but I had to feed my affliction for shiny things. It was dumb luck/timing as I actually found VDH and the just kicked off Kraken funding campaign when looking for parts for my cherished ScubaPro 109's...

Since it didn't kill me like the shops constantly spewed old stuff would, I began to understand them and from there, I ventured into the old regulator world cautiously. Ebay became a hunting grounds, and had the misfortune of locating options, all meeting my criteria of really good chrome (freshwater sourced). I was bidding on a few when I found a nice "buy now" that was in great shape. Well, figured my bidding would miss as it had a few times already (I was being conservative in my bids), I bought it, only to find out the next few won the auctions! I then had three.... oh $h*t!

None of my DH are stock, I like the upgrades in performance, gauges, hoses, and service parts ease of availability. Note - get the modern hoses and mouthpieces (I prefer the DSV from Bryan) as the old rubber taste is not something of the old days I like to keep around - LOL.

Sent all three to Bryan at VDH, one retaining it's original look (1967 RAM) but modernizing internals by adding a Cyclone first stage, HPR second stage, duck bill eliminator, new hoses, diaphragms, etc., but uses a banjo for a pressure gauge. The other one (1967 DA) got the "full deal" with a DIN Phoenix, HPR, DBE, and new silicone soft goods. Another DA got a yoke version upgrade with a Phoenix, HPR, etc...

The DIN gets most of my diving as my tanks are mostly DIN (yeah, could but the inserts in the valves....).

All of these have really good chrome....

So, I wanted to have one for "yucky tasting water"... found a satin 1958 DA that I did the full modernization on myself (yoke Phoenix). It has gone to Curacao on our trips the last few years.

I began to explore, and obtained one of Rob's upgraded Voit Trieste bodies on the larger "FX"(?) cans. Ever evolving it then had me finding two OEM versions of Trieste regulators I want to get working "stock"..... TBD...

Lastly, the daughter wanted a DH after pool diving one of mine, so I have most of the parts stashed away pre-covid" to build her a pimped DA in yoke.....

I may have others squirreled away.....

Some guys head down the keep it original path, and dabble in those.

Read the DH101 you were linked to above, and then ask away.

We each have different experiences and concepts for out choices.

REPEATING - Careful, it is a real bad addiction....

Back
Top Bottom