USIA Techniflex Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kmitch

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Greetings!

After lusting for a drysuit for years, I finally decided to shell out the bucks for a suit, and decided to go for the best suit I could afford, which is the USIA Techniflex.

It just came after about 6 weeks, stock size small. I got the cargo pocket on the left, and was really impressed with how much it will hold and still fold flat for streamlining. Very very very easy to self don, the torso could probably be a tad shorter since I have some bunching at the waist, but for a stock size it fits great. The latex socks work well with boots (I am wearing Oceanic NeoClassic Boots).

I'll be diving it in a cold pool tonite, so I'm wearing the full set of undergarmets. I'll be sure to post after the dive with a performance update (though I felt pretty dry just trying it on!). Only complaint is that I can't pee in it! :wink:

drysuit%20002.jpg

drysuit%20003.jpg

drysuit%20004.jpg

More:

drysuit%20007.jpg

drysuit%20008.jpg

drysuit%20009.jpg

Few more for good measure:

drysuit%20014.jpg

drysuit%20017.jpg

drysuit%20018.jpg

I like the black on black!! I'm probably going to pull the trigger on my Techniflex order next week with my LDS!!

So dive report:

PROS:
- Extremely comfortable to get on and off (I need to practice getting my head out!)
- I was actually really pleased with the location of the fore arm dump. Theres been some discussion about the placement there, and I found I enjoyed the ability to dump air without rolling my whole body.
- The soft touch inflator was WAYY better than I thought. It was easy to use with just a finger and didnt require alot of pressure.
- I had a great range of motion
- Able to self don and doff in less than 3 mins from start to finish.

CONS/Things I need to improve on:
- I wore too much on my feet (thick socks) so by the time I got in the water after about 10 mins I couldnt feel my toes from the blood being cut off! I went to the surface, unzipped the boots and ditched the gaiters and did alot better with my toes. I need to wear smaller socks next time.
- USIA YOU SCARED THE *#Q#%)$! OUT OF ME!!! Theres two "drain" holes in the bottom of the legs..... well kmitch gets out of the water, sees water gushing from her suit and sees a big hole. I just about passed out. Warn me next time!! :)
- It was too easy

I really couldn't be happier with this suit. I plan on using this suit for years to come and I have no issues with it that would make me discourage anyone from buying this suit. Just know theres drain holes in the bottom of the legs and you wont spazzz!

Ankle weights were a huge help, but that comes alot from inexpierence in a drysuit. I am also not sure if I shouldn't be cutting down one ring on the neck seal yet-- it was tight by the end and almost uncomfortable but I dont know if thats just part of the beast. Bouyancy was suprisingly different, I did probably 30 fin pivots before I felt good with my ability to just get neutral. Overall, very positive expierence and I didnt have to pee my suit!!!!

KMM

Oh USIA-- one more suggestion. How about putting a D-ring inside that pocket to clip stuff off to? My dive rite thigh pocket has a little d-ring that I can clip something to so I dont worry about loosing it. I find that useful when I carry something like a spare computer--- its my spare so I dont need it super handy and its $$$ enough that I would be ticked if it fell out of the pocket!

I have two drain holes above my boots, towards the inside of my leg where water from the fabric layers drains out.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom