Using a bp/w for dive master training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking I could always rent a jacket style if needed while I'm actually doing my course it just doesn't make sense to me to change my equipment while training to make situations easier because if a situation arises where I need to use my training in a state of emergency and I am using different gear I won't be as used to the situation where as if I train in what I intend to dive in in the future this will all be more familiar and practiced but I understand a there will be a strict chain of command and I am at the bottom "there's not to reason why there is but to do and die"

The shop I did my DM course with wanted the staff in equipment similar to what the students were using for the OW I part of the OW course. All their rental gear and most of the gear they sell is jacket style BC's aimed the Rec market. The reasoning is that they wanted you in similar gear, and gear the shop sells, as the student so that it could be demonstrated in similar gear. The OW II and othere class could be done in different gear, I wear my BPW for every thing but the OW I.

If the shop wants you in gear like they rent and sell when you are working for them use their rental BC's.
During the the class portion of the DM training you should be able to wear what ever you want. I wore Zeagle Evpress Tech for almost all the skills and testing portions of the class. The fellow students were not to fond of the crutch strap on my rig.

As far as the rescue class and rescue potion of the DM class shoulder straps with quick releases make gear removal while towing a victim much easier than a continuous shoulder strap (I know I will catch some flack for this.) We had one person helping in one class with an AquLung Zuma, they do not have shoulder strap release, and it made getting the BC off much harder, best option would have been the cut the strap.

B If your instructor says, "put a traditional BC on", you put a traditional BC on. If he/she tells you to make coffee, and go pick up his dry cleaning, that's exactly what you do.

I am not so sure where you did your DM but I paid for mine and coffee making was not one of the skills. Neither was running the instructors personal errands. I was there to learn to be a DM, not run errands or kiss a$$. Also, my gear is what I am comfortable in, get used to it and teach me. If I am helping with a class or leading a dive it is imperative that I wear the gear I am comfortable and familiar with. If the shop wants me to wear their gear they can supply it and give me time to familiarize. While it is all about the students, the OP will also be a student. His needs should also factor into the equation.
RichH

Based on your post I'd question more than the equipment configuration.
Why do divemaster?

I know that it's the "logical" direction that ends up being pushed by many padi shops...however I'd really question the logic of spending your time as a divemaster.
If you are sure you want to instruct full or part time, go for it. However if you just want to dive there are many options you may enjoy more, and would be a better benefit.

But! When I passed these thoughts on to my instructor he was less then on board and said it would be hard to complete the skills on the rescue diver and dive master courses. And bp/w set ups aren't recommended for dm or instructor work as you can't do some of the required skills headed in the open water course that I will be helping out on.

Some of the techniques may differ (like donning and doffing), but if you can't perform the tasks then either you're not fit to do it or your trainer sucks. Whatever tasks that you need to do with a jacket BC, you can do with a BPW. My OW instructor taught us while wearing a BPW and we were wearing poodle jackets.

HOWEVER, the shop that you're interning with may not allow you to use BPW to teach their students. That's something you need to think about.

Regarding the question about a wing for both singles and double, I was originally looking for one which did both but came to the conclusion that getting a singles wing was a better idea. As for brands etc. I have an xDeep Zeos single wing system, really like it, have had no issues and it was well priced.

Based on your post I'd question more than the equipment configuration.
Why do divemaster?

I know that it's the "logical" direction that ends up being pushed by many padi shops...however I'd really question the logic of spending your time as a divemaster.
If you are sure you want to instruct full or part time, go for it. However if you just want to dive there are many options you may enjoy more, and would be a better benefit.

At the moment my heart is pointing towards being a full time instructor, however I didn't right that in my post because getting to that stage in my training is still way off in the future. If I'm diving everyday as an instructor I also feel that I would like to push the limits of my own diving. (in any personal time I may get). This is where I wouldn't want to be held back by my gear. Also if possible why not try and get to the stage where I can teach things like tech diving and more advanced methods of diving. I know this is even further in the distant future and thousands of dives away, but why not aim high!

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2014 at 12:49 PM ----------

Regarding the question about a wing for both singles and double, I was originally looking for one which did both but came to the conclusion that getting a singles wing was a better idea. As for brands etc. I have an xDeep Zeos single wing system, really like it, have had no issues and it was well priced.

I was looking at the xdeep Zeos last night and it looks very nice how much did you pay for it and which harness did you go for?

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2014 at 12:53 PM ----------

I have also been into the only shop near me that sells bp/w and the guy I spoke to in the shop also said you cannot teach in a bp/w as you have to use similar equipment to your students. He is pointing me towards a back inflate bcd instead. I think I would prefer this over a jacket however, being honest I do like to have the best equipment possible in whatever I'm doing especially diving. as it can obviously be dangerous and there is so much room for me to progress.

I paid about £420 (GBP), but UK is not the cheapest place when it comes this kind of gear. I went for the standard harness, no backplate pad.

The group I dive with is organized by an instructor, if he is instructing he uses a jacket BCD, otherwise he goes sidemount.

If you are really aiming for tech etc. then you'll probably be looking to get a lot of equipment in future so the extra cost of a BPW in future would be minimal in comparison, you'd need to replace the wing with a doubles wing as previously mentioned anyway to dive doubles, the cost of the wing is the largest part of the BOW system anyway, so I guess it's weighing up the overall pro's and cons long term.

When I did my open water in the uk my I was in a large group with multiple instructors and dm's in the pool dives they all used jacket however in open water almost all of the used bp/w I never noticed at the time until looking at gear for myself and noticing that it is what they used but when I said this to the guy in the shop he said this wasn't padi protocol land they shouldn't have done but we all used dry suits and I know bp/w are more common in dry suit divers and he said that is probably why they did

There are a number of us who teach classes for basic open water in a bpw. There are no issues demonstrating skills. Not being able to demo them in a bpw is an instructor skill problem. And its not caused by the gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom