Using a bp/w for dive master training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I did my open water in the uk my I was in a large group with multiple instructors and dm's in the pool dives they all used jacket however in open water almost all of the used bp/w I never noticed at the time until looking at gear for myself and noticing that it is what they used but when I said this to the guy in the shop he said this wasn't padi protocol land they shouldn't have done but we all used dry suits and I know bp/w are more common in dry suit divers and he said that is probably why they did

Nowhere in the PADI standards does it dictate what type of gear you should be in. Find a new shop mate

Nowhere in the PADI standards does it dictate what type of gear you should be in. Find a new shop mate

This is just the opinion of the shop I am training and fun diving with at the moment not the one I am doing my dm with that is in a different location on the Andaman sea I have emailed the shop I am doing my dm with and asked the same question with the info I have found online and this forum and the dive shop I'm with now they may well agree with you that may agree with the current shop however I don't think this is something that I am prepared to make a fuss over yes it will be a disappointment but I love diving the bcd is just logistics

if this is the view of these two dive shops it could well be the view of many in this area and maybe this dive community isn't on the same level as others that have more tech and advanced divers and May course me problems in the future when finding work I agree that it shouldn't but sometimes you have to make compromise as is with everything

if I don't get the reply I want from the shop is there any ideas onto what I should get I think a good back inflation/wing bcd is the next best thing like the apeks black ice does anyone have any other models that they think ate better I'd like to learn more about some of the less mainstream brands for example xdeep

I wouldn't get hung up on a specific BCD, try them all. The best instructors are the ones that can don ANY BC, and make any drill look effortless.

Our shop is an active shop in regard to both new open water certifications and advanced technical training. Most of our OWS instructors also have some form of tech certification and/or are tech instructors. We rent and sell both jacket style BCDs, SM systems, and BP/W systems, so we really don't have a particular financial reason to promote one system over an other. That being said, we have learned a lesson or two about skill demonstrations so we've developed a unified approach.

Our current mindset is that new open water students have enough to worry about and learn without having to make mental adjustments to demonstrations. Yes, a good instructor that is used to his gear should be able to easily remove and replace a weight belt that has been woven under his crotch strap, however, that demonstration provides little to no value to new students that need to know how to remove and replace weight pockets. Therefore, we use a jacket BCD for our confined water demonstrations so we can demonstrate the skills close to or identically to how the students will be doing it. We then use our "favorite" gear whether it's a dual bladder side mount harness with a single tank and/or BP/W for open water dives since we rarely, if ever, need to demonstrate skills during the open water dives.

When I did my rescue course the instructor started in on me about how my bpw set up is going to be too difficult for the gear removal portions of the class. I replied, my gear is part of what a real world rescue diver will encounter. He agreed before I could ask him if he was telling me that padi rescue divers are only qualified to rescue divers that wear jacket style bcd's. Any ways no one in the class had any problems removing my gear and they actually loved my 7' hose for the air sharing drills.

It's hard to imagine anything easier than removing a BP/W with 3 slices of a Trilobite or knife.

Check out Deep Sea Supply. There are more than a few on here that use them. Tobin is also very helpful at making sure you get what you need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have just sent a email to padi to clear this up il let you all know the definite answer

Back
Top Bottom