Using a bp/w for dive master training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

someone may have covered this or not but there are a few things that are in the dive master course that are importent here 1 you should wear the gear your students are wearing or at least close this is because most students want what the teacher has if your dive shop is not a tech shop or doesnt sell bp/w then they want you inthere gear i am in my dive mast course have been for months i do my final check out dive next weekend sales is a big part of being a dive master as new students you dont want to overwhelm them with different gear i my self used bp/w in my dive master class with no issue but my dive shop is openwater and tech we sell bp/w so no issues you may even want to use your shops rental gear when helping in classes

someone may have covered this or not but there are a few things that are in the dive master course that are importent here 1 you should wear the gear your students are wearing or at least close this is because most students want what the teacher has if your dive shop is not a tech shop or doesnt sell bp/w then they want you inthere gear i am in my dive mast course have been for months i do my final check out dive next weekend sales is a big part of being a dive master as new students you dont want to overwhelm them with different gear i my self used bp/w in my dive master class with no issue but my dive shop is openwater and tech we sell bp/w so no issues you may even want to use your shops rental gear when helping in classes

I really wonder how many students, or newly certified divers, actually buy a complete kit, or even major components. My experience says not many. While sales may be a part of the job, unless there is enough pay, or a steep enough discount, using the shops rental gear to assist is probably the only answer I could live with financially.
As soon as those students go out diving in the world at large they are going to see a variety of gear configurations. Why not start the introduction process in the class where questions can be asked and ideas exchanged?
RichH

I see you are based on Koh Tao, as are we. So this could be a bad post for us politically, but for what its worth I disagree with your instructor. We have instructors who teach in bp/w perfectly competently. Our most recent DM also wore one. Their students never seem to have any problems. As others have mentioned there may be a few differences in technique due to differences between your gear and your students, but as long as these are explained in your skills briefings, I don see why it would be an issue.

Many instructors cling to the belief that its better to have equipment the same as their students (from a dive centre's point of view there is likely a certain amount of instilling this in their staff from a sales pov too!). And admittedly it can make it easier, but a good dm/instructor should have no problem teaching in a different gear set up. I also think its good from an educational point of view for students to be aware of different gear options and their suitability and uses for different courses and activities - could even work out better for your con ed once you qualify!

But for now you are still in training, so its your course and your gear, and you should dive in whatever set up you are most comfortable in. If you decide to go for it and complete your DM and IDC in a bp/w, you'll be more than prepared to teach in it afterwards.

I wore a BP/W all the way through instructor...BUT...I did use a standard BC for demo of doff and don, and when I was the victim for rescues. It's not the easiest thing for someone to wedge you out of a BP/W setup when you are playing the victim. For everything else it's fine. As an instructor, I still wear a standard BC for the pool work when I demo skills, but only because most students are in a standard BC when I teach the class. I do think that wearing gear similar to your students is important when doing demos. I do take a teaching moment to show the differences vs that setup and my BP/W when I get into open water, though, because I switch back into that gear for ALL open water courses. I also do my best to point out the benefits of this kind of setup to my students, so they are better informed when it comes time to buy gear after the class is done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom