Using a camera on Stuart Cove's Shark Dive

Does Stuart Cove's allow cameras on shark dives?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but no flashes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteve85

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Heading to Nassau in December and looking forward to some diving with Start Cove's. For those who have been to Stuart Cove's and done the shark dive, do they have any problem with people using a full size camera rig (strobes, etc) around the sharks? I notice in most photos I see folks kneeling in the sand with their arms crossed, so I'm wondering if they ban them for safety reasons.

I've also been checking out their shark shooter photography package which seems to be more of a private dive geared toward photographers. I notice on that dive they make you wear chain mail gauntlets. Made me think they may not allow cameras (other than maybe GoPro) on the standard shark adventure dive.

Why not just contact the operator directly, and ask?
Or I could...I don't know...start off by asking the hundreds of scubaboard members who have actually been there?
:angrymob:

I got it, troll the internet for opinions, rather than seek answers to those questions directly from the source.
lincoln-internet-quote-meme-memesuper-abraham-lincoln-internet-quote.jpg

Seriously though, when I want reviews of a product or operator, i have also posted a thread such as this, seeking those reviews.
On the other hand, if I seek accurate information on the specific policy of a service, I seek their response directly. This gives me a slightly better chance of getting current information, and gives me a person with that operation that is responsible, if that information should prove less than honest or accurate.
But that is just me I guess.
Good luck.

Seriously though, when I want reviews of a product or operator, i have also posted a thread such as this, seeking those reviews.
On the other hand, if I seek accurate information on the specific policy of a service, I seek their response directly. This gives me a slightly better chance of getting current information, and gives me a person with that operation that is responsible, if that information should prove less than honest or accurate.
But that is just me I guess.
Good luck.
I don't disagree. But at the same time, by sharing answers here, it may help somebody else in the future who might have the same question.

Last I was there 2 years ago, yes cameras were allowed. My setup doesnt have strobes but its an slr with dome. You cant stick your arms out and snapbpics. You must keep the camera at your chest and tucked to your body. They advised that if you choose to stick your arms/hand out while taking pics, its likely a shark from behind you will think you are dangling a fish to feed it (as they are used to) and take off your hand.

I dived with Stuarts Cove on the shark dive in 2006. Brought my own camera. I suggest you leave it behind, and spend the money for the professional video and photos. You know you can afford it.

I did it a few years ago and brought my camera, wouldn't have done it if they wouldn't let me.

Gotta side with GypsyJim here, thought.

"Is the Stuart Cove shark dive fun? Worth it? Anything I should know?" - great question for the board

"Will Stuart Cove allow me to take my camera on the shark dive that I have planned in December of this year?" - much better to ask the operator. If you get 100 people here saying yes and they say no, it's no. Who knows whether they have recently changed their policies, etc... And if someone else has the same question in the future, it still makes a lot more sense to check with the operator than relying on this thread.

Back
Top Bottom