Using a DPV to flee the police

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Authorities did not say what device he used to breath underwater.

I'm sitting here imagining he sucked down an AL80 in that 25min, and in that moment... a scuba diver finally wished he had his snorkel.

Spearfishermen know this all too well.

The Tax man got another one !!!

Steve McQueen model DPV would have gotten him far enough away to evade the law.

He used one of those Yamadog "pool toy" scooters. I have to say I'm impressed. Pulling a diver for 30 minutes (in icy water no less) was something I was lead to believe couldn't be done by these cheapies.

article:
The Yamaha 350Li he used for his attempted escape is a $1,195 motorized device with an underwater propulsion which allows users to cruise below the surface at depths of 100 feet. It can pull users at speeds of up to 3.7 mph.
35777894-8957821-image-m-12_1605625513511.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/YAMAHA-Seascooters-Professional-Underwater-Automatic/dp/B0785K6CXB?th=1

"After nearly 30 minutes in the Northern California lake’s frigid waters, [the suspect] emerged and was arrested, authorities said. Medical personnel confirmed his condition was fine, and agents provided him with dry clothes from his wife before taking him to Sacramento."

Another good example of where diving dry is the better choice at this time of year.

...agents provided him with dry clothes from his wife before taking him to Sacramento."

This raises a question that's sorta lurked in the back of my mind since watching The Sopranos - in these high dollar white collar felony cases, what happens with the spouse/family? Surely they've benefitted from all this money. I wonder 2 things:
-do the feds take the money back? What if it's been used to buy their house, does the family get kicked out onto the street?
-what do the circumstances need to be to file charges (aiding and abetting, whatever) against the family, who was obviously complicit?

This raises a question that's sorta lurked in the back of my mind since watching The Sopranos - in these high dollar white collar felony cases, what happens with the spouse/family? Surely they've benefitted from all this money. I wonder 2 things:
-do the feds take the money back? What if it's been used to buy their house, does the family get kicked out onto the street?
-what do the circumstances need to be to file charges (aiding and abetting, whatever) against the family, who was obviously complicit?
Should be up to a judge/jury to decide what happens to the money. I think district (or state) attorneys decide to file charges or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom