Using A Long Hose Isn't Just For Tech Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sorry if my last post was not clear.

I respect Mike and I’m in total agreement with his teaching ideas. In fact, I no longer teach basic OW because my shop does not hold to these methods.

I don’t own a shop. I was pointing out that my LDS doesn’t allow the use of a hog rig when teaching OW students. The owner feels it is too confusing for students. I disagree. For the life of me I don’t understand why it isn’t obvious to everyone that donating the primary is the best solution. Whether this is with a 40 inch primary or a 5 to 7 foot hose is of less importance.

edit:
My last post seems to have vanished. You guys are getting a bit gun shy!

Uncle Pug:
I agree with awap... that is definitely one benefit of the long hose... much cleaner routing without a snag handle hanging out there.

From day one I thought the standard rig a bit wierd. Nothing beats a long hose and a bungied backup...without a doubt it's the slickest deal!

Stephen Ash:
From day one I thought the standard rig a bit wierd. Nothing beats a long hose and a bungied backup...without a doubt it's the slickest deal!

I have to agree, just look at my Avatar :) The long hose seems to come around much tighter to the side of the neck eliminating the large loop such as on a standard rig. Now I just need to determine if I'm going to a 5' er or a 7' er for my singles (so far my only rig) rig. Have to experiment a bit.

i use and 7 and love it (i only dive singles)

H2Andy:
i use and 7 and love it (i only dive singles)

We need to start a group for "rec" divers that dive "tech" gear and like to promote safe, clean diving. I suppose that's what DIR is all about really, except they cover all the bases from DIR-F up to full cave. :eyebrow:

I dive a 6' hose for single tanks, and it works great. routes under the can light, gives me just enough room to move my head side to side, but keeps the long hose close across my abdomen. i think a 5' hose would be too short to route under the can light without impeding movement, and a 7' hose would probably flop a bit. 5'10", 200 lbs, YMMV.

awap:
I switched to a hong hose for some OW diving and the primary consideration was not air sharing. I just got tired of things grabbing my std hose as I swam by. The long hose is not as exposed.

So very true especially while diving in kelp that seem to reach out and snag things from out of no where. The long hose is kind of like spring straps, your not gonna die without them but they make things so much easier and more streamlined. :D

lamont:
I dive a 6' hose for single tanks, and it works great. routes under the can light, gives me just enough room to move my head side to side, but keeps the long hose close across my abdomen. i think a 5' hose would be too short to route under the can light without impeding movement, and a 7' hose would probably flop a bit. 5'10", 200 lbs, YMMV.

That may work for me. I'm 5' 10". I'm thinking the 5' hose is maybe if you're not wearing a can maybe rides up higher?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom