Using magnets to repel sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A few days ago I was watching a program in TV (I think it was Discovery Channel or National Geographic Channel) about several new inventions.
In a part of the program, the presenter was showing how sharks are repelled with magnets. Those same magnets seem to have no effect in other fishes.
Magnets used were those button like magnets used to keep closed mobile phone cases.
It was so notorious the effect that the shark suddenly changed direction on approaching the presenter in the pool with the magnets.
Any more info about this ?

what type and size of sharks were involved - from what I have heard and read about several field trials data from the use of magnets as repellents remains pretty much inconclusive and very species specific

There were trials were on great whites, medium sizes near shore using electromagnetic fields. They were yielding good results in pulse bursts but the problem there is you need to know the shark is coming, it's a small range of burst, and uses a lot if energy per burst.

Back
Top Bottom