Using super suit with gopro 5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought a hero 5 black for my upcoming philippines trip and got an aftermarket dive case that mimics the super suit 98%. The main reason I went aftermarket is that I did not want to remove the front lens protector from the camera to use the dive case, and ruin the cameras built in waterproofing. I believe if the case leaks a little, at least the camera is still sealed and likely to survive.

My question is whether people use a little silicone grease on the O ring around the back door of the dive case? Why or why not? I watched a few you tube videos on the super suit but no one mentioned this...

Thanks!

I clean the O ring well then apply a small amount of silicone lube prior to closing it up. A very thin film on the Oring will allow the rubber to seal up tight against the mating surface...the silicone acts a lubricant. Don't over do it. I have the Go pro super suit and I had no issues with leakage. But I cant say that was 100% related to me using the silicone.
I understand what your saying about removing the lense cap but it was not a big deal. Depending how deep your diving a leak in the O ring pinhole won't be a drip or two it will flood the housing completely and the water in the housing is at the same pressure of the surrounding depth. Not trying to put the fear of Neptune into you but if your diving at 75 feet and flood the housing at the beginning of your dive hard to say if your GoPro will be ok.

Have used my 3+ on approximately 50 dives and many snorkels. Never used lube and never had any leaks.

Like I said I cant say the lube had provided additional protection but it is a simple preventative measure to take when I am diving to 100 feet and the GoPro 5 is good to 30 (and I would think this 30 is a conservative spec.)

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I was watching a you tube video on the super suit and it showed the rear touch screen working through the case? Is this true? Does the touch screen work underwater through the case too? I tried my case it the pool yesterday and it seemed ok (only 6' though). Cannot use the screen though. I need to put the video on my laptop to see how it looks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom