Using tanks with no VIP/ Hydro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So there always has to be a contrarian somewhere. I would say this - it may be inconvenient but I would find someone to get the hydro. Are you telling me there is no firehouse / station on the island? If there is they have tanks and cylinders that need hydro's. So talk with them and see where they send them.

Would you let your brother who has a pregnant wife and a couple small kids fill the tanks without a hydro? I think I am stealing that line from Akimbo - either way the Hydro will save your butt... No reason not to - everything else is an excuse - Just Do It... :)

There is absolutely no-one here who can do a VIP, there is absolutely no hydro facility- including the “fire brigade”, there is no-one who can do a factory service on any brand of regulator, there's is no actual dive shop ( a number of operators but no retail facilities), there is absolutely NO nitrox available.
This place has world class diving and a third world dive culture. That’s why I have given up on rebreather diving here, everyone thought I was crazy for diving a “death machine”, there was zero support of any kind- every single item had to be imported at great expense (even oxygen).
I could go on about the stuff that drives me insane about living here but at the end of the day its OK as long as everything is kept simple and you can do it all yourself!

Oh, the fire fighters have “some” scba gear but the tanks are not hydro’d And most of the personnel are likely not trained or competent to use it anyway. The last time they turned up to a real fire they eventually realized that no water came out of the hose thingie because there was no water in the fire truck tank.

VIP is easy enough to take a class for.

If you current compressor can get to 5000 psi, you could build a water jacket hydro test bench and just do your own hydros for peace of mind.

VIP is easy enough to take a class for.

If you current compressor can get to 5000 psi, you could build a water jacket hydro test bench and just do your own hydros for peace of mind.

I've been considering that for years , feels to much like a DIY bomb project if it goes bad. Do you know of anyone who has successfully made one?

Where ARE you?

Wherever it is, sounds like home.

Visuals you can learn and equip yourself. A Hydro setup is simple, but I've been scared to build one and just take my tanks the ~600 miles south every 5 years to get them done.

I have seen aluminium tanks fail hydro due to over expansion which a visual wouldn't show... the possible kaboom factor of guessing one wrong has me playing it safe.

Lots of places that don't do hydros seem to sell off tanks every 15 years or so. I know at least 3 others who just punch numbers on the neck to reassure the tourists.

...when an aluminum tank is so swollen full that the tank band fall off it when breathed down, I get nervous. I've stuck a pinkie between the band and tank on one from full to empty... certain the band diameter didn't change. (Tested against another tank before and after the swollen one.)

Cameron

the water jacket method is fairly safe as long as you make sure to bleed the headspace of the tank and test chamber completely. the outflow from the test chamber after it blows the rupture disc is manageable.

Back
Top Bottom