Using the 30mm macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi All, I am off to Bali on 22nd April and grabbed a 30mm macro lens. Any one used one? Are there any tricks for new players?

Don't expect it to take the place of my 60mm but looking forward to trying it out.

Took the Oly 30mm macro underwater for the first time just today, actually. I was diving in a local pond in order to leak test a new drysuit and the new Oly macro port in advance of an upcoming trip; the only thing worth photographing were some salamanders, and the lens seemed to do fine. Focus was quick and seemed to be accurate. I haven't had a chance to review the pictures, so I'll come back with an update in the next couple of days. My early opinion is that it was well worth the price, especially since I got it when it was on sale for $100 late last year.

I reviewed my shots- nothing fancy, but about what I expected for a 45-degree freshwater dive with 3-feet of visibility. I really like the Olympus PPO-EP03 port; it's got such a small profile that you can really get in close. This shot is a jpeg with no cropping or editing other than the watermark; it looks like I missed focused and ended up just in front of the female's nose. I was trying to get on the bottom without actually getting on the bottom (if that makes sense), so that's my fault. I really like the FOV of this lens underwater.
_3108407.jpg

Last edited:
Uh, actually Ardy it might take the place of the 60mm! Well ok, maybe share top billing, not take the place, they each have their place.

As Furnari noted the 30mm has a very nice field of view and you have a much easier time seeing things through it when working close. The 60mm can make for more searching, as out of focus as things can get when shooting close up. Shooting macro in some place like Lembeh or any dark, murky water and I find I have the 30mm on a lot vs the 60mm. You can see small things easier and move in on them where with the 60mm it might be too out of focus to get your bearings. No problems on sharpness, you'll enjoy using it. // ww

30mm Oly Macro f/11 @1/250 Shrimp in anemone/Lembeh
upload_2018-3-11_21-1-31.png

Uh, actually Ardy it might take the place of the 60mm! Well ok, maybe share top billing, not take the place, they each have their place.

As Furnari noted the 30mm has a very nice field of view and you have a much easier time seeing things through it when working close. The 60mm can make for more searching, as out of focus as things can get when shooting close up. Shooting macro in some place like Lembeh or any dark, murky water and I find I have the 30mm on a lot vs the 60mm. You can see small things easier and move in on them where with the 60mm it might be too out of focus to get your bearings. No problems on sharpness, you'll enjoy using it. // ww

30mm Oly Macro f/11 @1/250 Shrimp in anemone/Lembeh
View attachment 450006
Nice shot!

The Oly 30mm macro? The main thing to be aware of is the min focus distance is right up on the port glass with the recommended port, the 9.5cm min focus distance is from the sensor so that is only 20mm or in front of the front element of the lens, so getting 1:1 might be a challenge, probably best suited to 1:2 and less magnification.

Well yeah, it is more versatile with SubSees. I'm happy to have both the 30mm and 60mm. In murky water (whether Lembeh or salamander heaven!) I appreciate being able to reduce the water column effects using the 30mm along with how much easier it is to find my subject again once I have moved in close. // ww

Thanks guys, I am off in 2 weeks and can't wait to try the 30mm out. Also bought the 9-18 but only have the standard port for my EM5 so it might not get in the water.

First dive trip in 18 months so will go sit on the bottom for a while to reorient myself...Some say I should have done that years ago!!!

At least use the 9-18 for one dive then when you get home track down a Zen WA-100 dome for it. It's a fairly low cost, smaller diameter dome that let's the 9-18 perform like it should UW. I bought Furnari's off him (thanks!) and went from doubting I would use the 9-18 much to using it a lot. (Even makes my 14-42 kit lens look ok, not sure if it fits the 12-50 though.)

Hey, good luck with that orientation biz. No worries. Probably a lot of it will come back to you...:fear: // ww

Ardy,
Congratulations on finally getting back into the water. What a long haul.

I bought an Oly E-PL7 camera and the PT-EP12 housing. This camera has the short 14-42mm EZ lens and the port on the housing is much shorter than the original port on my PT-EP06 housing which I had for the E-PM1 camera. That said, I already have Zen's WA-100 dome which fits the PT-EP12 housing and I will likely use the 14-42mm II lens.

However, I also picked up Oly's 30mm macro lens. The lens is too long to fit under the short 14-42mm EZ lens port. The original Olympus port which came with the PT-EP06 housing is really big and too long for the 30mm Macro lens. However, I noticed that Inon has a PER-E01 extension ring which looks like it would extend the 14-42mm EZ port sufficiently to accommodate the 30mm macro. Has anyone tried this combination?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom