Using USA battery chargers in Bonaire (240v/50hz) ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Onewolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are going to Bonaire (Buddy Dive) soon and the dive shop trip 'coordinator' said that we probably shouldn't use our battery chargers because of the 240v/50hz power supply in Bonaire will be bad for 'delicate' electronics. Most of our battery chargers (camera batteries/laptop) indicate they are compatible with 240v/50hz. Is this trip 'coordinator' correct?

We will need to charge AA (strobe) batteries and we have 3 Maha MH-C204F chargers however their power transformers indicate they are 120V/60HZ only. What are our options for charging these batteries?

Thanks for any information!

Doug

I was just there last month and I was able to charge all my nikon battery packs and also my iphone. I had read that they may cause them to get hot, so I checked on them frequently the first time, but not after that. Everything worked fine. I was at Den Laman though.

Bonaire is 127V/50Hz not 240V. I've never even thought of not plugging in my laptop or my battery chargers. I've used both el-cheapo (labled 120V/60Hz only) and good AA chargers while on island and never had any issues with either. Anything with a motor in it will likely run at 5/6 speed but I've never even heard of a battery charger having an issue with the frequency.

I have blown electronics labeled for 60hz by plugging them into 50hz. No fun.

Can you purchase / use a small 12v inverter that plugs into the cig lighter on your rental car / boat? Most commercial 50-60hz converters are huge and expensive. You only need a small inverter that is a lot cheaper for charging batteries.

Is this trip 'coordinator' correct?
No. Has your trip coordinator ever been there? My laptop and video camera chargers worked fine.

From infobonaire.com
Electricity
Bonaire, Curacao, and Jamaica have two things in common. The first is that they are all located in the Caribbean. The second is that they share the same electrical power characteristics. The default power from an electrical outlet here on Bonaire is 127 Volts AC at 50 Cycles (or Hertz or Hz). This doesn't really match either the power requirements of most European appliances (220V, 50Hz) or American appliances (110V, 60Hz), and while both European standard and U.S. standard outlet connections are visible in just about all Bonairean structures, it's not always clear what voltage the outlet is running at, so it's important to check this with whomever operates the house, hotel, apartment, etc. that you'll be staying in.

Assuming you have a 127V outlet (which looks like a U.S. standard outlet typically), most resorts have transformers available for rent for your more sensitive plug-in appliances, such as battery chargers. Such transformers can also be bought in local stores such as Kooymans, Inpo, and Playa Trading for between $50 and $100.

Some things may be plugged into a 127V socket directly without a transformer, as long as you understand that some U.S. voltage specific devices may run warm, and may burn out if left plugged in for a long time. Note that many notebook computers already have universal power supplies and should work fine plugged into any outlet (check with your manufacturer or your notebook power supply for details) .

However, it is also said that Bonaire is occasionally "generous" with its power, and surges and brownouts are not uncommon. If you plug anything electronically delicate into a wall outlet, it might not be a bad idea to have a small surge protector in between. These are available at most consumer electronics stores, such as Radio Shack.
We will need to charge AA (strobe) batteries and we have 3 Maha MH-C204F chargers however their power transformers indicate they are 120V/60HZ only. What are our options for charging these batteries?
Check with the Digital Photo Center as they may have a place in the shop with a transformer for customer use.

Or replace your chargers - MH-C204W 1-Hour Worldwide Travel Conditioning Charger
: http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=352

Last edited:
A final option is to go buy a small travel pack of converters and adapters from some place like REI, or EMS, or similar travel/outdoor store. That store in US malls that sells all the massage chairs and stuff like that usually has them as well. A kit usually costs between $20 and $50 depending upon number of adapters and how nice the case is.

Your cooridnator is misinformed, there is not need for anything different, If your chargers are rated for 100-230V 50/60 Hz there is no problem at all and most 110v/60 hz devices work fine althought motors tend to run slower and hotter- hair dryers. I have used my chargers on Bonaire for years (2002ish on). No need for plug adapters either, every place I have stayed (7 total - Buddy April 2011) has had US type plugs in most all rooms and at least some in every accomidation.

With a statement like "240v/50hz power supply in Bonaire will be bad for 'delicate' electronics", not sure your coordinator knows what they are talking about. 240v/50hz by itself certainly not a problem for a charger rated for that.

It's possible they're repeating something they read or were told by someone down there. A very long time ago I remember some dive or photo shop in Bonaire told us we'd be better off charging stuff in the shop as it was better than doing it in the room. I think the issue was dirty power - fluctuating, spikey, not very consistently 220/50. I don't know how much of a problem it was then (we ignored the warning with no ill effect) or if similar warnings now might be old info that never died, or a CYA thing, or who knows.

Back
Top Bottom