Using your octo as your primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WoW thanks for all the reply's guys! I have bought an octo and a primary a while ago both of equal good quality, so thanks for the advice of not trying to save money by buying a crappy octo. Actually I did try my octo at depth and it breathes very well, which is somewhat comforting:) Both are cold water environmentally sealed models.

Thanks again, Cheers:D

WoW thanks for all the reply's guys! I have bought an octo and a primary a while ago both of equal good quality, so thanks for the advice of not trying to save money by buying a crappy octo. Actually I did try my octo at depth and it breathes very well, which is somewhat comforting:) Both are cold water environmentally sealed models.

Thanks again, Cheers:D

It is an investment in life support gear...you made a wise decision. :)

Hello, I have a question about diving that I cant seem to find an answer to by just browsing online. That is: If buying an Octo is cheaper than buying a normal/primary regulator, then why cant you use the octo as your primary if this would enable you to buy a better reg? Could you buy two octos and use one as back up and the other as primary?

Thanks for the help!

Just remember that a more expensive regulator is designed for 'easier' breathing, it will likely be more prone to freeflow. In fact, I was under water this weekend with someone that had brand new atomic z2x for backup reg and we could not get it to stop from free flowing as soon as it 2' of water (yes, dive, pre-dive positions etc...) the LDS will try to service it and tighten it up a bit.

Just remember that a more expensive regulator is designed for 'easier' breathing, it will likely be more prone to freeflow. In fact, I was under water this weekend with someone that had brand new atomic z2x for backup reg and we could not get it to stop from free flowing as soon as it 2' of water (yes, dive, pre-dive positions etc...) the LDS will try to service it and tighten it up a bit.
Many, perhaps most, modern regs that are "more expensive" have an adjustment for breathing difficulty that is "selectable" in real time. If you make it the "easiest" possible, it can free flow more easily, but that's not an absolute given. That adjustment can also be tweaked by the service tech to be slightly easier or harder to begin with, which may be an issue.

If you're having a freeflow issue it's most likely a poor tune-up, not because expensive regs breathe easier and therefore freeflow easier.

My first reg set was a Scubapro MK2 with R295 second and R295 octo. Probably one of the most bulletproof set ups out there for a beginner.

Back
Top Bottom