USN Mk3 Mod 0 Dive Knife Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuNanoTube

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I recently received a USN Mk3 Mod 0 Dive Knife in a used equipment deal on Craig's list. It is in excellent shape, sharp, almost pristine. The problem is that I have no idea how to mount it on myself. I prefer a calf mount, but am open to anything really. Any Ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
-H
(Would like to post Image, but need more posts)

See if you can also get a surplus USAF nomex flight suit.

A Mk3 Mod 0 is a great collector knife but is not what I would call a first choice for a practical recreational dive knife and you will probably encounter similar comments less nicely stated and you will probably get flamed - thus the need for nomex.

Calf mounting is about the only good option for a large knife, but it is far less than optimum from both an efficiency standpoint and in terms of being able to reach it with either hand when entangled.

And Welcome to Scubaboard!

See if you can also get a surplus USAF nomex flight suit.

A Mk3 Mod 0 is a great collector knife but is not what I would call a first choice for a practical recreational dive knife and you will probably encounter similar comments less nicely stated and you will probably get flamed - thus the need for nomex.

Calf mounting is about the only good option for a large knife, but it is far less than optimum from both an efficiency standpoint and in terms of being able to reach it with either hand when entangled.

And Welcome to Scubaboard!
Thanks, I do have another dive knife with a nice calf mount strap setup (all of my available knives are big, I should say my fathers...) but was hoping to use this one because the steel is of a much higher quality and thus I can cut better.
I do agree on the accessibility issue though, I want to make a small knife to mount on my BCD as a contingency.
Thanks for the advice,
-H

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom