USS Arthur W. Radford

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On 08/10/11 the USS Arthur W Radford was sunk off Delaware, Maryland and New Jersey. On 08/12/11 we did initial survey dives and submitted the a report on Atlantic Diver.

On 08/19/11 we did a second trip to the wreck and noted the following:

We found that the deck at the base of the front of the wheelhouse deck structure was starting to form a crease / valley across the entire deck. Corresponding with the crease, there was a crease and minor tearing on each side of the hull from the deck to the keel. This creasing was the result (IMO) of the hull being unsupported from the very bow to beyond mid ship. Nick Caloyianis (Emmy Winning U/W film maker) was out with us and shot footage of this creasing and tearing.

Fast forward to 09/29 /11:

We dove the Radford for the first time since hurricane Irene. The ship is now in 2 parts approximately 200' apart. The large main section (from the bridge to the stern) is still upright and actually moved about 200' from where it was. That's right, the entire section moved 200' to a parallel position from where it was. What is also remarkable is that it didn't tip over and it moved Southeast which is toward the storm surge waves. Hurricane Irene's storm surge waves traveled Southwest then West then North west as she passed over the area. Finally the bridge end of this section has scoured into the bottom about 5'. This bodes well for it staying up right. The bow section (100+') is another story. This section is in the same location as where it was before Irene. While we didn't dive this section, it appears that this section has fallen over as it didn't profile as high on the depth sounder. This likely happened as the bow section has a very narrow beam as compared to the main body of the ship. I will hopefully confirm this next week.

So what happened:

While I'm not a naval architectural engineer, nor did I play one on TV, here is what I think happened. The tears in the hull go right along side a vertical bulkhead from the keel up. The bulkhead likely kept the the hull from distorting and forced it to tear from the keel up from the downward pressure. IMO, this happened before Irene hit. When Irene pushed the large section away from the bow, the deck which was the only metal holding the 2 sections together, likely tore apart. Sadly, if the bulbous bow had been jetted into the bottom, most of the keel would have been supported and the ship would possibly / likely still be in one piece. So, Irene a Category 1 hurricane helped break the Radford into 2 pieces, and yes I know the Radford is a destroyer not a battleship. It just sounded better for a title.

Ted

Ted Green

TDI Instructor Trainer #029

TDI Advanced Trimix Instructor #029

USCG Licensed 100 Ton Master (Captain)

Charter Boat "OC Diver"

USS RADFORD broken in three sections.
As reported earlier this week the Radford is now in three sections. Not that i didnt believe the report just had to see for myself. We dove the main section (bridge) and found a line someone had run (thank you someone) to the Gregory poole. Vis was nothing to brag about but still had a good dive. Seems that the sea bass has found the ship worthy, no big ones but plenty of little guys swimming around. I personally didnt hit all three sections but between three divers we were able to hit all three on the dive. Beautiful fall day on the water.

Spearboard Spearfishing Community - View Single Post - USS RADFORD broken in three sections.

My partner heavyD and I ran the line off the new stern of the Radford when we went looking for the original stern after being the first to find it was gone on Friday, 10-7-11. Ted, with OCDiver got us hooked into the Bridge structure right at the break. On our first dive, using scooters we went down to the sand and started running the starboard side towards the stern. We were looking for the prop shafts, but the hull has settled into the sand to the bilge keels and imagine our surprise when the ship ended in a sharp tear across the hull with the stern section gone. If you look at an overhead of the stern. There is a round gunmount with a square hatchway astern of it with a railing for the upper deck. Th ship is broke/torn right behind the rail. The stern is missing. On our second dive we followed the line Ted had laid to the bow first and explored that, then returned to the stern. heavyD laid out near 300-400 feet of line directly astern looking for the stern section. Failing to find it we started sweeping left and ran into what we soon discovered was the Gregory Poole wreck. heavyD tied off to that and we explored it for a few before returning to the Radford. We did not find the stern, but it's got to be out there somewhere. We were on heavyD's scooters again so we were able to cover a lot of ground. A great day for diving with <2 foot seas, sunshine and 10 to 30 foot vis in places.

2 1/2 hours from OC. We left at 6 am and didn't get back to the dock until 4pm with 2 70 minutes run time dives 45 on the bottom each dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom