Utah Lakes data sheets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rollerboi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've just stumbled across a really neat repository of information on the various lakes in Utah.

There's a bunch of .pdf's corresponding to various lakes statewide, with all kinds of neat information. Of particular relevance to us as divers is information on the elevation, depth, usage, and types of fish found.

Index of /watersheds/lakes

On an aside, does anyone know what this means and how/if it applies to us as scuba divers? "The state beneficial use classifications include: boating and similar recreation (excluding swimming) (2B), cold water game fish and organisms in their food chain (3A) and agricultural uses (4)."

I've just stumbled across a really neat repository of information on the various lakes in Utah.

There's a bunch of .pdf's corresponding to various lakes statewide, with all kinds of neat information. Of particular relevance to us as divers is information on the elevation, depth, usage, and types of fish found.

Index of /watersheds/lakes

On an aside, does anyone know what this means and how/if it applies to us as scuba divers? "The state beneficial use classifications include: boating and similar recreation (excluding swimming) (2B), cold water game fish and organisms in their food chain (3A) and agricultural uses (4)."

Thanks for the reference. I did some quick spot checks. Nothing on Strawberry and nothing on Blue Lake. But they do seem to have altitude data. That's good stuff considering almost all of them are altitude dives.

I can't answer your question about the regulations and what they mean. Maybe the State Department of Natural Resources? But realilze that lakes like Flaming Gorge are probably governed by Federal regulations.

Art

That data comes from the Dept of Environmental Quality. Those 'codes' are to rate a body of water for it's uses. Doesn't really relate to diving except for recreational. It will tell you whether the use of a flag is required.
Long list of local lakes Utah Dive Sites based partially on the same data.
You'll win DA's contest if you dive most of those listed :wink:

Don't you mean dilettante?

Yup.

But now it's time to broaden your cultural horizons.

Engineers have a Papal Dispensation for Spelling. It is up to the rest of the world to figure out what we are trying to say.... :rofl3:

Art

PS Congratulations. You passed your first test. :D

That data comes from the Dept of Environmental Quality. Those 'codes' are to rate a body of water for it's uses. Doesn't really relate to diving except for recreational. It will tell you whether the use of a flag is required.
Long list of local lakes Utah Dive Sites based partially on the same data.
You'll win DA's contest if you dive most of those listed :wink:

Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen this site before! :)

I'm not really out to win the contest.. I just desperately want to win a regulator setup. Once I have that, I'll have no problem diving more, as my only expense would then be pretty much air. With the baby due on Sept. 5th, my diving will be drastically curtailed unless I can become self sufficient before then. :)

R0gue, I'd still love to hit the water with you sometime, as we have yet to meet. (You too, Art!) :)

Gotta tell you I'm not really tempted. Tropics for me baby! Coz in 3 weeks. Been 2 months since CCV. I have however fished most those lakes :). And the water is COLD! Art, we still have to get together sometime. I need to download some info from your brain. Hasta later. Jay

hey guys...i was just wondering, since all of you seemed to have "dived utah", lol, if you could point me to another place to dive that is close by midvale (i'm going to dive homestead crater), but may do one other-if i can find a person and a place. it doesn't have to be right next door, but i don't want it to be several hours away either. Something cool. fish or no fish, but if clarity is awesome, or there's volcanic ash or petrified wood, or something rare about the lake or whatever...that would be awesome. :) warmer, as i'm only bringing wet suits with me...thanks fellas!
j

hey guys...i was just wondering, since all of you seemed to have "dived utah", lol, if you could point me to another place to dive that is close by midvale (i'm going to dive homestead crater), but may do one other-if i can find a person and a place. it doesn't have to be right next door, but i don't want it to be several hours away either. Something cool. fish or no fish, but if clarity is awesome, or there's volcanic ash or petrified wood, or something rare about the lake or whatever...that would be awesome. :) warmer, as i'm only bringing wet suits with me...thanks fellas!
j

Welcome to Utah diving where viz is limited and some of the water is volcanically heated. Most of the water though is going to be a tad on the chilly side.

You can poll the other guys (except Farsidefan- he's a warm water wuss :D) but most of the dives are going to be 7 mil wet suit (if not dry suit) dives below the thermocline. That's Bear Lake, Fish Lake, Strawberry). The Crater is warm, probably in the 90 degree F range. I usually dive it in swim trunks and t-shirt. Blue Lake (about 2 hours west of Salt Lake) is heated by hot pots. The water there is 3 mil wet suit comfortable. I would guess in the 70's. The down side to Blue Lake is that if ROgue and his Human Lawn Dart Students are there, the silt problem can verge on phenomenal. :rofl3:

A lot of the dives in Utah are altitude dives. If your computer takes that into account, you should be OK as long as you look at a map to see what your post dive altitudes will be. Some of the mountain passes can get you up to the 9 to 10 thousand foot level which is the pressure you will find on commercial jet liners coming home from the Caribbean (i.e. flying after diving). But there can be more than one way home after a dive. For example, the Crater is in Heber, Utah. Altitude between 4 and 5 thousand feet. If you come home via Parley's Canyon (I-80) you climb to the 8 to 9000 foot level. If you come home via Provo Canyon, you drop steadily in altitude till you come out in Provo, Utah. No post dive altitude problems.

It's hard to generalize about diving in Utah. If you can be more specific, we can give you better answers. If you need dive buddies, let us know. Most of us will use any excuse to get wet. :dork2:

Have fun. Dive safe.

Art

(PS edit for the locals) I have gotten my settlement from the insurance company for the burglary. I won't be able to replace all of the dive equipment but I've already ordered some of the basics. I'm ready to dive again.

Back
Top Bottom