UTD Adventures, Catalina/Ship Rock in Los Angeles, CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lobstah

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
After scheduling this trip over a month ago I was looking in horror at the forecasts which indicated that a whole week of sunshine will get interrupted with a stormy weather on that very day we have out trip. Luckily it wasn't that bad - we had a very bumpy ride to the island, but once we anchored at Ship Rock everything calmed down. We had a mix of rec and tec divers on board, some scooters.

I sat out dive #1, due to certain fins being forgotten at home, and as people emerged back from their dive and I began hearing stories about stellar conditions I grew reasonably envious. But I can always count on Nick, who came from dive #1 completely flooded and we again had as many pairs of fins as divers on board.

Dive #2 (or #1) for me was a slow kick around a rock with 20min spent at 150-160 range. Visibility under 100 feet was at least 50 feet. It always puts me in awe to see cliffs of the ship rock towering above. Fish were plentiful, during our deco we immersed into a thick cloud of blacksmith and watched sealions snatching some of them away. We completed the circle swimming though the calm kelp forest.

Dive #3 Blue Caverns. This is protected site, with no anchoring allowed. Captn. Richard dropped us in and we followed the wall to numerous caverns of various sizes. Vis was in a 20-30 foot range, but rock structure made up for it. Gorgonians growing on a ceiling, thick and healthy kelp forest with big fish, Very relaxing an pleasant dive to wrap up a day.

Our way back to harbor was surprisingly smooth and sunny, given the rough ride in a morning.

Very good trip.

Glad you had nice conditions! You can always count on Nick to flood himself and offer up a set of fins (I know Chris and I took him up on it a couple months ago) :wink:

Did you find the beautiful gorgonian wall at Blue Caverns?

This was my worst flood yet (rivaled only by that of Buoy B a few weeks back)
Never a good sign when you take off your suit, only to realize the zip part of the zip seal has come loose (I think I failed to re-attach it properly when i switched from wet to drys)

Surface pix and video will be forthcoming so check your local programming.

EDIT: Actually make that 2nd worse. The "Drysuit zipper open" for a 90 min dive in 54Fs was worser

ligers: Which one :). There's few there.

Nick: Now about next time you just hand me the fins and avoid flooding in a first place?

Breather will be painful. 10 years of OC habits. Ouch.

Well, the fins I know he can use, the breather would just be a small set of doubles with a blinkenlight :)

Just show me which way the bailout valve goes and I'll rock that bad boy :)

Back
Top Bottom