UTD Z-side mount with isolatable manifold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The other thing to mention is that unclipping a reg shouldn't require "futzing"....it should be trained better than that. If it's not, you have a training issue...that UTD is solving with equipment. If you haven't practiced unclipping your reg enough, then the $.02 o-ring or $.002 ziptie are an easy way of surviving the realization that you were trained poorly.

True, if "futzing" means general equipment unfamiliarity. Bolt-snaps can get jammed though, or silted etc - especially if tight penetration is done. I consider a break-away to be important for safe sidemount.

That said, I can employ my wrist-mounted Eezycut pretty quickly...and do train for that. Anyone who uses cut-aways should... especially on long-hose.

That's a good point about jamming. I run breakaway-compatible zipties on mine, just in case.

Kev, you're talking about several matched teams accomplishing a dive, not mixed team diving. When I think mixed team diving I'm thinking the BMOC, SMOC and CCR diver get in the water together with the same plan. There is no advantage for the CCR diver in this scenario beyond just having someone to dive with. Personally, I'd go it alone.

BMOC/SMOC mixed teams seem like a fine idea, but throwing the rebreather in is where I walk away from it.

Thanks for the concern (and these are real issues and not the reactionary hyperbole above). . .yeah I still have that QC6/Spare Aqualung Octo Reg clipped in the pocket; and last month's Truk trip where I got stuck in the I-169 Sub -with both arms pinned-down at my sides and my dismounted tanks floating freely about my head- really had me thinking about a "what-if" cut hose contingency at that instant --There would've been no way to plug in the spare QC6 Reg, or even operate an Isofold manifold if there was one on my back instead of the Distribution Block for that matter. . .:confused: (Don't think I'm traversing out the Sub that way again on the next Truk Trip this 01-09Dec 2013 :wink:)

A gas leak is probably the worse case scenario for the z-system, even with the isolation valve. The isolator valve would need to be closed and possibly one of the tank valves would need to be opened, depending on the location of the leak (if you can even identify which side the leak is on since all the hoses route across your back), while the other tank valve would need to be closed. Then in order to get any air out of the closed tank again a second stage with a quick-connect needs to be installed on the whip. Operating three valves quickly at depth in a tight space and then building a regulator system underwater all while trying to abort the dive is quite the task load. This scenario would be so much easier to manage in conventional sidemount.

The air sharing debate is really a non-issue, both styles will work effectively.

---------- Post added August 29th, 2013 at 12:31 AM ----------

Your wallet's too fat and its inducing a pressure sore on your ass?

I wish I had that problem! lol

as I have mentioned before Z-manifold has + and -, but bottom line is that along with proper (for use sidemount manifold) training using manifold there is no problem that you won't be able to fix in the same timely fashioned way like in sidemount with no manifold, UTD is all about manufacturing a "thinking diver" not just selling something new. Once you will get to know the differences in procedures using manifold everything becomes a clear sky and then you can even more appreciate pretty cool benefits from having it. Its all simple enough so a "caveman can do it" for instance if you have a leak somewhere on the back by the manifold the first thing you do is isolate, than close one tank and hear if bubbles stop, then other side etc, etc ... depends where the failure is you can or you can't access the gas from broken side but since you isolated the sides there is always gas needed for comi home reserved in one of the tanks regardless on reaction time. Its like with 9 point manifold failure with backmounted doubles, there is a quick, smart solution to fix the problem but the proper training and practice that will make it a muscle memory is needed so buying a sidemount manifold without understanding the emergency procedures is not recommended. When everything is in place you just love the convenience of getting dressed, gearing up on the boats etc...

as I have mentioned before Z-manifold has + and -, but bottom line is that along with proper (for use sidemount manifold) training using manifold there is no problem that you won't be able to fix in the same timely fashioned way like in sidemount with no manifold, UTD is all about manufacturing a "thinking diver" not just selling something new. Once you will get to know the differences in procedures using manifold everything becomes a clear sky and then you can even more appreciate pretty cool benefits from having it. Its all simple enough so a "caveman can do it" for instance if you have a leak somewhere on the back by the manifold the first thing you do is isolate, than close one tank and hear if bubbles stop, then other side etc, etc ... depends where the failure is you can or you can't access the gas from broken side but since you isolated the sides there is always gas needed for comi home reserved in one of the tanks regardless on reaction time. Its like with 9 point manifold failure with backmounted doubles, there is a quick, smart solution to fix the problem but the proper training and practice that will make it a muscle memory is needed so buying a sidemount manifold without understanding the emergency procedures is not recommended. When everything is in place you just love the convenience of getting dressed, gearing up on the boats etc...

I know you CAN solve pretty much any problem encountered with the z-system, but I don't think certain scenarios (like a hose rupture near the manifold) can be isolated as quickly, safely or easily than with a conventional setup, even with extensive training and experience. That delay could result in more gas lost/unusable gas than necessary which should be the most primary concern. That being said, I think it's a pretty cool system for open water or low risk environments.

Having used a system like this I know what you are talking about with the benefits. Don't let my adversity fool you, I honestly did really like it, but in the long run the cons outweighed the pros for MY specific needs. I felt a little safer using a nomad as a platform because the harness covered and protected the hoses across my back (I had a distribution type, non-isolatable manifold). I can't help but cringe when I see the spiderweb of hoses exposed along the back of the Stealth harness just begging to be cut.

I know you CAN solve pretty much any problem encountered with the z-system, but I don't think certain scenarios (like a hose rupture near the manifold) can be isolated as quickly, safely or easily than with a conventional setup ...

yes, same quick, its simple if the isolator is in place that you can reach it (should be) with no problem its a matter of seconds like with conventional setup ...

... That delay could result in more gas lost/unusable gas than necessary which should be the most primary concern.

no it shouldn't be a concern more than in any other system / setup since you still alternate the tanks keeping one only open at a time so still you have no gas lost in other one i.e. in cave still whole third to get home.

That being said, I think it's a pretty cool system for open water or low risk environments.
every environment as long as the principals are kept even most advanced.

Gas distribution may be idea good only for open water and equivalent and I'm not crazy about it but for me manifold finds its place in my diving world - caves, wrecks, open water deep or shallow

I'm just not visualizing how you can manipulate three valves in the time it takes me to manipulate one?

I'm just not visualizing how you can manipulate three valves in the time it takes me to manipulate one?

1150309_372166056245034_1717168764_n.jpg

No, not quite correct in the temporal sequence of operating the Isofold in a leak scenario. As demonstrated to me by AG at UTD HQ San Diego before my Bikini/Truk Trips a few months ago, you have to open BOTH tank valves THEN isolate, and then expeditiously go through the 9 point failure drill like you would and as you learned in conventional backmount (taking into account the QC6 connections as well).

I chose to retain the original Distribution Block -again because I didn't like that Isofold Valve Wheel poking my back & neck- and more familiarization with the original solution of plugging in the back-up QC regulator (or going to a redundant tank reg) after disconnecting both male QC6 tank whips. I'd rather automatically disconnect and by-pass the Distribution Block, plug in the QC back-up and abort the dive rather than go through the 9 point failures drill with an installed Z-Isofold manifold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom