UTD Z-side mount with isolatable manifold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"If you see something that is a complete mess, makes no sense, is less than optimal, or is designed to accommodate some phobia while ignoring all else, you are dealing with a [-]stroke[/-] unsafe diver." - George Irvine

Fitting.

"What works . . .works."
Real experience (and not just Internet Diving).

---------- Post added September 1st, 2013 at 10:28 PM ----------

To me, Z-system is a simple sidemount system, that breaks multiple fundamental tech principles in an effort to work like back-mount. That isn't a dive determined necessity (other solutions exist) - it is an agency dogma mandated necessity. It has no need to work like back-mount, it isn't back-mount. It is workable... but it isn't optimal - not if the diver respects the principles of minimal failure points and K.I.S.S in respect to configuration and procedures.

I just don't see the benefit of compromising a majority of important principles in order to effect one single principle. Especially when that principle ('from the mouth' donation) is of much less critical nature.
Panicked diver in a perceived breathing gas interruption (or even a real OOG emergency) will grab the nearest working regulator off an assisting gas sharing donor --potentially it's that regulator in the donor's mouth. That's why being trained in DIR/Hogarth Fundamental Long Hose Diving, we always expect an OOG donor to rip-off our primary reg that we always breath in nominal diving --and we ALWAYS know where our back-up reg is (bungee necklace'd around our neck). . .

As I said earlier in the thread. Nothing more than forcing sidemount to be dived as if it were backmount... and ignoring a dozen critical principles just to facilitate a minor one.

You enter many wrecks with divers prone to panic? UTD huh?

I find this thread most entertaining. :) Personally I don't see why a proven system needs to be fixed. Other than the tanks being on the side there really is no difference between sharing air in backmount vs sidemount. I dive in mixed teams all the time and have no issues donating my long hose to either a sidemounted or backmounted buddy. It works just the same. Plus it's great to have both of the valves up in front so you can see them and quickly handle any issues that may occur. I don't see how this manifold system would make things easier in an emergency.

I feel like we are slowly converting Darth Vader (Kev) from the dark side of the force to help Luke Sywalker (Andy) save the sidemount universe from the UTD Empire! Maybe in the end he will throw the Emporer (AG) into the bottomless pit and convert to a conventional sidemount system?

I feel like we are slowly converting Darth Vader (Kev) from the dark side of the force to help Luke Sywalker (Andy) save the sidemount universe from the UTD Empire! Maybe in the end he will throw the Emporer (AG) into the bottomless pit and convert to a conventional sidemount system?
:D

Going to Lanai, Maui & Molokai in two & a half weeks for some advanced drift, wall & pinnacle dives, bringing both backmount and Z-sidemount systems; and I expect to telling y'all about how great the diving was --with no "single point distribution block failures etc -- as per usual . . .just like at Palau, Truk & Vanuatu going back from now nearly 12 months. . .:cool2:

:D

Going to Lanai, Maui & Molokai in two & a half weeks for some advanced drift, wall & pinnacle dives, bringing both backmount and Z-sidemount systems; and I expect to telling y'all about how great the diving was --with no "single point distribution block failures etc -- as per usual . . .just like at Palau, Truk & Vanuatu going back from now nearly 12 months. . .:cool2:

...or not! haha

I will be heading your way (sort of) at the end of October for work and plan on doing some very non-advanced dives in the kelp forests of Monterey Bay during my down time (can't on-gas too much or it will mess with my working dives). I will be diving conventional sidemount single tank configuration of course.

You may want to consider no mount for pushing the really tight spots between kelp...

Good thinking! Maybe I can even use a rebreather as not to disturb the flora?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom