Utila Dive Center or Utila Lodge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JD_McCombs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning on leading a group of divers from our shop to Utila next March. I'd like to keep the overall cost of the trip low. A lot of our divers seem to like the premise of having meals included, no matter how inexpensive they are on Utila. The two locations that I'm considering are the Utila Dive Center and the Utila Lodge. Is there anyone that's been to both? Which would you recommend for a group of divers that's likely to be middle aged and dive oriented?

We stayed at Utila Lodge last year with 2 other couples. Did our diving with them also as they are associated with Bay Island College of Diving (Bay Islands College of Diving - Dive Shop Utila). Some in our group were concerned about the no-see-ums, so we went with the cabins out over the water with Utila Lodge. I would recommend NOT doing the meals-included plan. The meals at the lodge are very basic, spaghetti, tacos, etc.There are too many great places to eat in the village or you can pay as you go for the meals there at the lodge. Diving was great, small groups, large boats. We were there in the rainy fall season so not a lot of divers. Saw the Mango Inn which is associated with UDC, I believe. It's up the hill from UDC, ~10 min. walk. Take lots of DEET!

+1 For NOT doing meal plans. A lot of Utila's charm is walking the Main Street and trying the different restaurants.

Utila Dive Center operates out of the Mango Inn...very nice place and awesome pizza.

I have not been to the lodge so I can only recommend UTC...
I dived with them for a month and loved my experience with them.

the only place on utila that makes sense doing a meal plan is Utopia resort. its by-far the nicest resort (actually its the only real resort) on the island and has nice food. however it is not in town, if thats important to you.

I understand the appeal of a meal plan for some people and the ease for groups. But I tend to agree, around Utila town where you can walk to stuff it's maybe not the best choice.

Utopia is not only off the beaten path, it's not on a path. :wink: A meal plan not only makes sense I think it's the only option. A good place for a group, but certainly a more expensive trip than you can do in town.

Utila Dive Centre. You will stay at Mango Inn which is lovely. In nice surroundings, has a pool, and a resturant. Utila Lodge rarely has guests so does not have much atmosphere. There is little customer service. UDC are very dive orientated. They have faster boats and go to further out dive sites and you could dive 4 times a day. Utila Lodge offers 3 dives a day. Plenty of nice restaurants in town. Would be a shame to miss them. And the Mango Inn restaurant is extremely popular on Tuesdays - 2 for 1 pizza.

Back
Top Bottom