Utila in November-Dive Op recs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pillpusher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be heading back to Utila in November. It wouldn't have been my first choice for months to visit there (or 2nd, or 3rd...or even 11th, probably), but a buddy of mine had a trip booked and invited me along, so I figured what the heck.

With the heightened chances of rain, I want to make sure I pick an op that is less likely to have no-dive days (bigger boat) and has locally experienced dive guides that are good at finding critters, rather than just casually floating along. Also, I'll be diving Nitrox, so preferably a place that doesn't charge a ton for that. We have a house rented, so no accommodations are needed. With these things in mind, any dive op recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I'll be heading back to Utila in November. It wouldn't have been my first choice for months to visit there (or 2nd, or 3rd...or even 11th, probably), but a buddy of mine had a trip booked and invited me along, so I figured what the heck.

With the heightened chances of rain, I want to make sure I pick an op that is less likely to have no-dive days (bigger boat) and has locally experienced dive guides that are good at finding critters, rather than just casually floating along. Also, I'll be diving Nitrox, so preferably a place that doesn't charge a ton for that. We have a house rented, so no accommodations are needed. With these things in mind, any dive op recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Try Bay Island College of Diving (Bay Islands College of Diving – Just another WordPress site). They fit all of your criteria. We dove with them 2-3 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed.

Try Bay Island College of Diving (Bay Islands College of Diving – Just another WordPress site). They fit all of your criteria. We dove with them 2-3 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed.

Thanks for the info. Did you fundive with them, or take courses? My main concern with them is that, being more of a school, it would be far fewer fundivers and more new divers. Nearly every review on them is from people learning to dive. I don't mind the occasional newb, but I don't want my dives cut short because someone in the group is blowing through all their air.

Thanks for the info. Did you fundive with them, or take courses? My main concern with them is that, being more of a school, it would be far fewer fundivers and more new divers. Nearly every review on them is from people learning to dive. I don't mind the occasional newb, but I don't want my dives cut short because someone in the group is blowing through all their air.

Just fun dives. There were no cert. divers, just instructor and dive master trainees on a few dives. Lots of youth there; they stay at the unairconditioned dorm type rooms and work their butts off during the day. Really fun to be around that much enthusiasm.

Good to know, thanks. The website doesn't list any prices, but, from what I can tell, it looks like they only do two dives/day? Is that right?

because you're going during the wettest month of the year, trips to the north side will be weather dependent. no boats will go to the north side if its pouring with rain. unless you get very lucky with the weather, most of your dives will be close to town on the east side and on the south side.

After reading the reviews on BICD, nearly every review that mentioned the north side stated they rarely went there, even when other boats were, so I'm going to look at other options. Ay other suggestions out there?

We have a dedicated boat for certified divers, though I still think some of the more diverse sites are S/side and the seamounts. Weather/minimum number of divers, we try to do at least 1 dive N/side or in that region each day. Our guides have thousands of dives on the reefs here and are renowned for finding critters that often require you to pull out a magnifying glass.

Back
Top Bottom