Utila Vs Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sylius, It sounds like you're going into this venture with both eyes wide open and it looks like you've got the time to make doing your DM the best option. Hauling that Canadian dollar down south Ouch, tell me about it. I figure I'll be paying 35-40 USD/dive but I'm defiantly going to try grinding on multiple packs of 10 and doing a bit of shore diving as well.

Utila is not "that bad" there's lots of us over 50 types which is why I suggest shopping dive shops. Jeeze, I went into one place in 2013 and they were all...ugh, I better not post that. If you go with a big,reputable shop then partying shouldn't get in your way

thanx stout,
It will be a door to an adventure of a lifetime that's for sure.

Thanx again for all the advice.

Both Utila and Roatan are good for diving and both are good for whale sharks.....As you mention Thailand could be a good choice, you can see whale sharks there and also manta rays there....I can recommend you an excellent place in Phuket where they offer a divemaster internship, the owner Darren is from Australia, he is also a PADI Course Director and will directly get your training from him. www.idc.aussiedversphuket.com , the dive center is less than 100 meters from the beach in a nice and small beach village in south of Phuket (Rawai).

You can go there antime you want!!

Enjoy your course!!!

Chris
Platinum PADI Course Director

Hi Guys! We would love to send you the complete details on our Divemaster internships here on Roatan! If you send us an e-mail to internship@roatandiveacademy.com we would be happy to answer all of your questions. We would also welcome you stopping by the dive shop to come and check out our operation, speak with our Divemaster interns and consider us as an option. Our GoPro Green Divemaster Internships offer group discounts, free accommodation, equipment rental, meals, unlimited diving, coral reef conservation work and SO much more! We hope to hear from you soon!

PAT W gave a very balanced opinion of the two islands. Roatan's north side you will see quite a lot of the larger predatory fish. El Aguilla wreck always has many grouper on it. If you need any more info, don't hesitate to contact me.

I've never been to Roatan so I can't compare the two islands. I have, however, been to Utila 7 times.

Is your focus more on diving and learning the job or simply getting the card as fast as possible ?

I'd be looking for a dive shop that's going to have you in the water as much as possible also one that offers a dive for free after completing your course such as Utila Dive Center.

PADI Divemaster internships & courses with Utila Dive Centre | GoPro Bay Islands Honduras | Caribbean and Central America

I'd be trying to spend as much time as possible doing the course, (I did mine over two months) so you can get as much experience in before trying to market yourself as a DM.

You'll be mostly working, looking at other divers. Checking out the underwater environment, not so much.

I'd thought about redoing my DM as a "cheap" way of getting lots of dives in what's a relatively more expensive market and I found that lots of dives just weren't going to happen in the way they did on Utila.

I've actually heard UDC DM candidates complaining about "too much diving" seemed they were more interested in drinking beer and watching youtube videos.

Pick your destination then walk around interviewing dive shops.
Thanks for that info Stout, we have booked our DM course with UDC and were hoping that we could still get plenty of dives in while doing the course. Sounds like we've picked the right spot!

Hi: As someone who also did their DM and Instructor training while still employed elsewhere and planned to teach in a cold water environment, Chicago, it might help to chat with your local shops. Neither shop I teach for would hire a warm water trained DM or even let them work for free until after checking them out fairly extensively in cold water. DMing or Instructing with hood, gloves and, usually, dry suit, is quite different than warm water. Stop by your local shops and let them know what you're doing and see what they may or may not want out of a DM for cold water. You may have already done this or your shops may not care, but just thought I'd make the suggestion.

Rob

I have seen a few comments regarding getting work after training in a tropical area, but we live and dive in a tropical area (the barrier reef in Australia) so for us its more about the opportunity of picking up a DM ticket at 1/2 the cost of obtaining it locally, and the bonus of getting it while traveling.
Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom