Utopia Village...Luxury Valet Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K

KeithG

In our many years of vacation diving, Utopia Village stands out as a luxury
destination focused on great diving. Paul and Crisna were excellent hosts
with a top notch family-like team. And they are invested in making a
difference**. This is not a resort that has some diving, it is a luxury
diving resort. Emphasis on diving and luxury.

We have had valet diving once before and Utopia Village service was similar
in nature, but much more flexible (see below) and much more valet. We
dropped our gear off at the start of the week and picked it up at the end.
The dive crew handled everything in between. Actually we did not get to
drop our gear off. As we headed to the dive shop with our gear, several
staff "popped out of the bushes", grabbed our bags and carried
them to the shop.

There were 3 scheduled dives each day, but you could do more (or less) if
you wished. Most days were 3 boat dives: a double tank dive starting at
8:00 am and a single tank starting at 2:00pm. There was some small
variation with a checkout shore dive on the first day and a night dive mid
week (dinner was greatly delayed for this).

Flexibility: Every dive was well over an hour. We never felt rushed to get
back on the boat. The night shore dive was 79 minutes. One morning Evelyn
spotted dolphins swimming past the resort - we rushed in the jungle buggy
to the boat, spent 10 minutes locating them and then we all snorkeled with
the dolphins. Boat Captn Elvis even maneuvered the boat so that the
dolphins played in the bow wave and Elvis brought them back to us
snorkelers. This interlude meant lunch would have to wait for us. The
surface interval on the morning dives was spent looking for potential sea
life encounters. Instead of sitting at the mooring Elvis motored in a large
arc to the next site. One day we encountered a sailfish feeding? on the
surface. We slipped in with snorkels, but spooked it. Oops.

The land based resort side was pure luxury. Over the top. Very surprising
for a remote and small place like Utila. Lodging, service and food was
excellent. It stood out beyond any other dive trip. The prior week we had
spent on Roatan at a very popular dive resort and that quickly paled in
comparison.

Breakfast offered an array of local Honduran dishes AND an ala cart menu
(which I never used, can you say full of delicious?). At breakfast you
ordered your lunch and at lunch you ordered your dinner. Every meal had a
choice of 2 apps and 2 mains, but they suggested you try a half order of
everything. After a few days we just waved them away and said "bring
us some food". Every meal I had at Utopia was better than the fancy
steak house dinners I ate in Houston on our way to/from Honduras. As
foodies, we asked Crisna about her chefs. Chefs? Nope! Just some local
cooks that are very capable, very interested in food and have been given
the mandate to have fun and make interesting and tasty food. Some
highlights were the fresh lionfish meal (hunted by the crew on an afternoon
dive at an un-named seamount off the west cays) as well as the tuna sushi
meal that Crisna waffled on since Melvin had phoned to say he hooked one
but had not landed it yet. Fresh fish!

Lunch in the pool... No bathing suit needed. They set up "picnic
tables" in the shallow end and you get to eat lunch under a shroud
with your feet in the cool water of the infinity pool.

** the difference: Paul and Crisna have "gone Honduran". They
take pride in employing local people and are very active in spearheading
environmental programs at the Pigeon Cay school. They arranged a volunteer
English teacher and are actively teaching all of their staff English and
Scuba.

P.S. If you ask nicely they will sell you some of their home made hot
sauce. I preferred the green stuff over the yellow stuff. Use sparingly.
Yum!

Great review! I would love to visit too.
When did you go? What do you think is the best time of year to enjoy this place?

Nice review. I was at Utopia spring of 2014 and everything you said was spot on. Loved the room, meals and diving. The resort staff was great. We did 20 dives and averaged over an hour per dive.
Anke (our dm) let us have a turn spearing lionfish, what a blast.

Would love to go back and recommend it highly to anyone.

Enjoyed reading your 2 trip reports; Utopia Village on Utila, and CocoView Resort on Roatan (I linked them for convenience). I think people considering the Bay Islands would be well-served reading both, as they complement each other - what you get for what you pay. Link to your CocoView report. From your post in that report:

"Price? Utopia Village was almost 2x CoCoView in price? I think? I am not sure, my wife books this stuff...And she is never wrong...Very different attitude and approach for the 2 dive ops...The flight to Utila was also pricey. Island Air about $250 each? You may be able to take the fairy for less?

I liked Utila diving better. Better structure variation, more fish. We had been to Roatan 6 times prior (but a long time ago) and this was the first time to Utila. No big fish either place."

That got me curious enough to go compare. Couple of offerings to compare:

From Utopia Village:

"DIVE PACKAGE

The dive package includes everything in the Leisure Package plus 5 days (Sunday through Thursday) of 3 guided dives (2 to 3 boat dives daily), including one scheduled night dive and unlimited shore diving at our beautiful reef (weather permitting). Tanks, weights, belts, private equipment storage with large lockers and gear valet all included.

$1790 - $1990 per person per week
(excludes taxes and reef fees)"

From CocoView:

2017 High Season:
"Ocean View (Rooms 22 & 23 have a limited view) $1,414"
"Ocean Front $1,464"
Value Season: $1,214 and $1,264, respectively.

The modest $200 single supplement for Ocean Front at CocoView would be a big plus for me. Are the rates I listed similar to what you faced? With the difference in airfare to be added? Utopia Village doesn't include taxes & reef fees; did CocoView include them or not?

I'm a 'cheap seats' kinda guy (e.g.: fly coach), so it may not matter as much to me, but for others considering trip options, can you give some more detail about what's considered 'luxury?' I get the food was great, but luxury means different things to different people. For some, soft, plush beddings. Others, ornate decor. Others, being waiting on hand and foot by polite staff in uniforms with a friendly but formal attitude perhaps?

Richard.

Last edited:
P.S.: CocoView's shore dive is a big deal on Roatan; since Utopia Village advertises unlimited shore diving at their 'beautiful reef,' how good a dive site is that?

Looks great except to the strict no solo diving policy. Too bad.

P.S.: CocoView's shore dive is a big deal on Roatan; since Utopia Village advertises unlimited shore diving at their 'beautiful reef,' how good a dive site is that?
The "ability" to do a shore dive at CoCoView is the big deal.

The week we were at cocoview the site sucked big time due to the low viz (less than 30 feet) caused by rain. the viz on other sites further away from the lagoon was around 70 feet or more. it also has a long entry. you wade out to a platform, put on your fins and then swim twice as far in 4 feet of extremely hot water before you get to the dive site which quickly drops deep. if you look at goggle maps you can see the entry path. we witnessed lots of people hanging doing nothing for their 3 minute safety stop - there is very little area between 4 and about 20 feet deep, so it is difficult to spend the last part of your dive diving.

Utopia Village has just completed a new dock (so it is not shown on google maps yet) you walk to the end of the dock and immediately start your dive. the shore has spur and groove channels that run from the shore down to about 20 feet before the wall drops away. the visibilty on this site was similar to the other sites we did on Utilla. The site is in excellent condition as it sees very few divers.

The long entry / exit and chance of bad viz at cocoview are big negatives for me.

I'm a 'cheap seats' kinda guy (e.g.: fly coach), so it may not matter as much to me, but for others considering trip options, can you give some more detail about what's considered 'luxury?' I get the food was great, but luxury means different things to different people. For some, soft, plush beddings. Others, ornate decor. Others, being waiting on hand and foot by polite staff in uniforms with a friendly but formal attitude perhaps?

Richard.
Soft plush bedding == yes
ornate decor == yes
waiting on hand and foot == yes (but no uniform, other than many of the employees wore resort logo gear)

friendly & informal attitude - the staff knows your name (before they see you!) and your food preferences and allergies since you filled out a short questionnaire a few days prior to arrival. Names of incoming guests are provided to the staff the week before you arrive. At the airport a set of "welcome" pictures are taken and then broadcast to the staff via phones (whatsapp?). So the staff sees you before you see them and they greet you by name.

every day we had a different towel animal in our room, a pair of swans, elephant. octopus, sloth (or maybe it was a monkey?) and a few flower petals strewn on the bed cover. the foot rinse containers outside doors were of polished wood with flower petals floating in the water.

there was always a fresh flower display as the table center piece for every meal - the jungle is full of plants! These were harvested and fashioned into beautiful displays. We happened to be there on our anniversary and they spelled out happy anniversary on our bed sheet using tiny green leaves and red flowers.

every time we left to go diving and every time we returned from diving there was a group of staff to wave and say good bye or hello to us.

Since the resort was gutted just 2 years ago, all the rooms are modern and bright. the prior incarnation had bathtubs in the bathrooms - these were replaced by large doorless glass walled showers. the electrical outlets were a cluster of 4, not 2 outlets.

The pool had 4 parts to it: a very large hot tub, a shallow end (1 foot?) where we ate some lunches, an deeper big infinity pool and a "deep box" that is designed as an area for water skills training during scuba instruction classes. the pool was hand made by a local contractor and his team.

one day I asked if they had any hot sauce. Every meal after that there was hot sauce brought to my place as soon as i sat down. it was homemade by the kitchen. tasty!

the luxury stemmed from lots of pre-thought (things like 4 outlets instead of 2) and attention to detail (knowing our names, creating hand made flower arrangements) for many simple things as opposed to tawdry displays of ostentatious wealth.

Back
Top Bottom