UW window opening tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oneshotshooter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Need some recommendations as to what works best under water. We tried some spring-loaded center punches and they were ineffective. The only place we could find a vehicle under water was in an abandoned quarry. It was down at 110 feet, I am not sure if the depths affected the tool.

The spring punches are a good way to go. It may be the way you are operating them that is causing the failures. Some windows will break anywhere you punch them while others will only break near an edge or corner. We use these from Harbor Freight.

Search results for: 'spring punch'

Keep them packed with grease and open them up every once in a while to clean the rust and gunk out. Also solder a washer on the end for a loop so you can hang it somewhere. Watch for sales when they drop down to $1.99.

Now for the real bummer part. Thanks to the insurance agencies a lot of vehicles are being produced with laminated glass ALL the way around. That is almost a death sentence for the occupants in a submersion or fire. Their reasoning is tougher glass makes it harder for burglars to get in and steal stuff. Never mind the human element lets protect the goodies from WalMart.

The spring punches are a good way to go. It may be the way you are operating them that is causing the failures. Some windows will break anywhere you punch them while others will only break near an edge or corner. We use these from Harbor Freight.

Search results for: 'spring punch'

Keep them packed with grease and open them up every once in a while to clean the rust and gunk out. Also solder a washer on the end for a loop so you can hang it somewhere. Watch for sales when they drop down to $1.99.

Now for the real bummer part. Thanks to the insurance agencies a lot of vehicles are being produced with laminated glass ALL the way around. That is almost a death sentence for the occupants in a submersion or fire. Their reasoning is tougher glass makes it harder for burglars to get in and steal stuff. Never mind the human element lets protect the goodies from WalMart.

thanks Gary. I must've asked before because those are the same ones that we purchased. They work great on the surface, but would not break the glass down at 110 feet. What other options are there?

Depth shouldn't make any difference at all. Try getting closer to the corners and edges. Also double check and make sure it is Safety and not Laminated glass. All the punches will do is crack Laminated glass.

Are your punches making a “Snap” sound when you push on them?

I will look for some higher quality center punches and try again. what do you use if it is laminated glass?

I will look for some higher quality center punches and try again. what do you use if it is laminated glass?

C4 :wink:

It's the same as a windshield only thinner and tough to get through.

Laminated glass is becoming more common in the side windows of many vehicles. From a vehicle rescue standpoint, you need to either cut it or physically remove the windshield. We generally are utilizing sawzalls to cut windshields or there is a manual Glass Master Saw that can be used for cutting a windshield. I have used them on vehicle rescues and they suck as they take time and a lot of effort. Here is a video comparison and it shows how the Glass Master works. Not certain they would be highly effective underwater. It would Certainly tire out the diver.

YouTube - Saw's All VS Glass Master

It would obviously work better than the sawzall would underwater!!!!!

Most vehicles I have dealt with underwater are upside down. I would also guess that the side windows would most likely be buried silt. What would be the most efficient way to gain entry? I am mentally prepared that 99% of the work that we will do will be recovery, but would still like to train and be prepared for the perfect storm for a rescue.

What is the timeline for rescue versus recovery? And who normally makes that call?

Most vehicles I have dealt with underwater are upside down. I would also guess that the side windows would most likely be buried silt. What would be the most efficient way to gain entry? I am mentally prepared that 99% of the work that we will do will be recovery, but would still like to train and be prepared for the perfect storm for a rescue.

What is the timeline for rescue versus recovery? And who normally makes that call?

I believe that you will find nearly every team works on the premise of the Golden Hour. There have been documented conversions involving drowning victims in cold water up to an hour, particularly with very young individuals. Our team stays in rescue mode for 1 1/2 hours to insure that there is no chance for questioning the efforts (assuming of course that doing so does not create undo risks to the team).

The design of newer vehicles will certainly present new challenges to overcome. Simply the laminated glass will have the potential to delay any potential access to submerged vehicles. I was thinking about this scenario since the posting yesterday and do not know if some sort of battering ram would work underwater. One of the issues of even considering the Glass Master is that you have to have an entry point created for the blade to begin cutting.

For teams who have access ramps with the potential for submerged, occupied vehicles, I believe that an IMMEDIATE call for a tow truck for reported vehicles is a must. It will at least provide the potential for a quick, hook and drag if you cannot gain access to the vehicle. As technology changes, so must we.

Back
Top Bottom