Uwatec Aladin Pro battery question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quaker State

Attachments

• vintage-quaker-state-motor-oil-can_180641837342.jpg
    vintage-quaker-state-motor-oil-can_180641837342.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 2,917
I wanted to share this with the forum, as the battery company I've dealt with are really good!

My Uwatec Aladin Pro dive computer hadn't been used for a long time and so I chucked it into a bucket of water to see if it was still working. Clearly it wasn't and so I decided that the battery probably wanted changing. I couldn't immediately see how to get at the battery and so, I googled it and found quite a few questions and answers on the forums, including this one. One of the answers turned out to be half right.

1. Remove the strap
2. unclip the two tabs either side of the computer.
3. Prise it open remembering that the item is filled with oil. This bit should be done over a bowl to catch the oil.
4. Unsolder the battery from the PCB and obtain a new one from Maplins.

That's as far as I got because Maplins had never heard of it and a search on the old google couldn't find one either.
It's a Uwatec LR-07 3.6volt Lithium battery with welded-on special tabs which mount to the PCB.

I contacted my local dive shop and was informed that because it was oil-filled, it would need to be sent away for replacement of the battery at a cost to me of around £69!

I then spent another couple of hours trawling the internet again and found this company.......www.batterycompany.c.uk

I spoke to Tina, and sent her a photograph of the battery. After around half an hour she was back on the phone to me with a result. They could supply it with tabs welded on where they should be for £8.99p plus V.A.T. and £2.50p postage.

Anyone needing to change their battery should check this company out, and I am in no way related or work for them. They're brilliant and couldn't have been more helpful.

It depends on the model but not all of the aladins are oil filled.

The 1st (?) generation of Aladin Pro, 3 contacts, on the right

alad.jpg

is dry, and battery replacement is easy, but it doesn't work with the memo mouse , so there's no way to download the data.

(pic. courtesy of the University of Geneva)

It depends on the model but not all of the aladins are oil filled.

All the "old style aladins I have serviced are filled with oil (Pro, Air, Air Z,etc). Even the very old Beauchat models have the electronics compartment oil filled, only that in their case the 3,6V battery is in a separate and dry compartment.

The only ones non oil filled are the recent Scubapro models like the Aladin 2G, Sol and Luna.

Which one you know in which the electronics is not oil filled?

Incidentally I have always used paraffin (that you can get in most drug stores) to refill the computers and has worked nicely in all cases.

Mine is a 3 button sport and no oil in batt compartment. yes the batt is a bit spendy, yet it last for years or many, many dives. Mine has been changed in 2005 mininum 100 dives and as many as 200 each year, pro plus 2 every year at $20 maybe 100 dives in between. Hockey puck comp maybe a 80 dives at $12.

I will change one more time, maybe twice in 15 years from now. Never have to turn on before getting wet and the batt warning gives you a long warning time like 5 more hour long dives for sure.

Hi all, realise this is a very old thread but wondered people might still monitor it and be able to answer a q related to it.

I have just changed the battery on an old Aladdin pro ultra and it seems to work but with some bubbles in it. Unfortunately I don’t have any more liquid paraffin as shown in the u tube vids and described on the other sites. I do have some silicon fluid though (marked as 200/20).

My query is - can the Silicone fluid be used instead of more paraffin?

If so can I just top up with silicon - will the two fluids mix well?

Or do I need to use just one or the other? If so what is the best way to get rid of all the old paraffin?

Many thanks if anyone can help.

Charlie

Silicone oil is much better than parafine oil ( parafine oil with low temperature get denser ) .
For proper working of sensor , you need liquid that have same properties at all environment temperatures , that is chemical neutral , and incompressible.
Parafine oil is product of hydrocarbons similar is silicone oil (carbon (C ) in formula is switched with Silicium (Si) but I would not mix them together !

I would clean aladin with gentle mixture of ethanol 98% ( volume 80% ) and distilled water (volume 20%) . I use that mixture for cleaning sensitive electronics.

Medicinal paraffin oil readily obtained from any pharmacy and is dirt cheap.

Silicone oil is much better than parafine oil ( parafine oil with low temperature get denser ) .
For proper working of sensor , you need liquid that have same properties at all environment temperatures , that is chemical neutral , and incompressible.
Parafine oil is product of hydrocarbons similar is silicone oil (carbon (C ) in formula is switched with Silicium (Si) but I would not mix them together !

I would clean aladin with gentle mixture of ethanol 98% ( volume 80% ) and distilled water (volume 20%) . I use that mixture for cleaning sensitive electronics.

Thanks for that Lucca. With regards to cleaning away the paraffin oil with the Ethanol 98% - presumably this will require the battery to be disconnected prior to the cleaning process? i am hoping to avoid going down the full replacement of the fluid if possible to be honest.

As I only need to top a small amount to get rid of a bubble can I just top it up with Liquid Paraffin? Do you happen to know what the original fluid in the comp actually was?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom