Uwatec bottom timer + DSS bungee looks suspicious?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazedAndConfuzed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had a uwatec bottom timer mounted on a DSS mount along with bungee cords for the wrist strap. I had it in my luggage on a trip and my regulator bag was left opened by TSA and I noticed the bottom was not there. I though I left it home but when I returned home, I can't find it anywhere. I am just wondering if TSA thinks that it looks like some type of timer that one adhere to something so they confiscated it.

If TSA had confiscated it, you would have been notified in some way. More likely, it was stolen by somebody in security or a baggage handler or TSA didn't completely close the bag after inspecting it and it fell out. I'd say the first is the most likely.

Wouldn't be the first time someone's stuff was stolen by or as a result of tsa.. not sure why we put up with the nonsense

I had a uwatec bottom timer mounted on a DSS mount along with bungee cords for the wrist strap. I had it in my luggage on a trip and my regulator bag was left opened by TSA and I noticed the bottom was not there. I though I left it home but when I returned home, I can't find it anywhere. I am just wondering if TSA thinks that it looks like some type of timer that one adhere to something so they confiscated it.

That sucks. Was your reg bag in your main check in luggage? Im not sure how TSA search, do they randomly open bags without you present? I always carry my regs/comps as carry on being the most expensive items less likely to get them stolen/lost.

That sucks. Was your reg bag in your main check in luggage? Im not sure how TSA search, do they randomly open bags without you present? I always carry my regs/comps as carry on being the most expensive items less likely to get them stolen/lost.

The regs was in a rolling luggage that I was originally going bring on the plane as a carryon, but since that bag was pretty stuffed and heavy, we had a few days before we actually start to dive, and we had 3 flights in total where we had to drag the luggage around (along with our heavy backpack and camera gear), along with the fact the airline that does the international part of my flight allowed multiple baggages to be checked in., I decided this time to check it in.

I don't know how TSA search, maybe when they see something in the xray?

I do bring all my camera gear as a carryon and in Bogota, they were going to confiscate my 15 or so eneloop batteries until we begged them and showed them all the things that need AA batteries (actually, I only had 2 things using AA batteries on hand, but was showing my dslr too).

If TSA had confiscated it, you would have been notified in some way. More likely, it was stolen by somebody in security or a baggage handler or TSA didn't completely close the bag after inspecting it and it fell out. I'd say the first is the most likely.

I did go through international carrier, where when I had my layover in Miami, I saw all these baggage wrapping services where they tightly wrap your luggage in saran wrap. I thought WTF, why such paranoia? I guess stealing things from the luggage still happens.

The TSA is a den of thieves. the agency does its best to prevent the extent of thievery from becoming known, but it's massive. There is very little that can be done about it. They have in effect been given a license to steal. The degree and extent of 'security' at airports is way out of proportion to any actual threat. The primary goal of all government bureaucracy, the main objective, is their own survival and expansion. The official 'mission' is a distant second to that imperative. TSA will do and say whatever is necessary to insure the continued existence of the TSA. This is infuriating, but there is little anyone can do. It's not like this is really a democracy anymore. That disappeared a long time ago.

I'll be traveling out of the US next week, heading for the islands. The happy anticipation of that trip is, as always, slightly soured by what Iknow Iwill have to put up with at the airport. And I'd better keep my mouth shut and smile, unless I want the kind of trouble that can make me miss my flight.

The regs was in a rolling luggage that I was originally going bring on the plane as a carryon, but since that bag was pretty stuffed and heavy, we had a few days before we actually start to dive, and we had 3 flights in total where we had to drag the luggage around (along with our heavy backpack and camera gear), along with the fact the airline that does the international part of my flight allowed multiple baggages to be checked in., I decided this time to check it in.

I don't know how TSA search, maybe when they see something in the xray?

I do bring all my camera gear as a carryon and in Bogota, they were going to confiscate my 15 or so eneloop batteries until we begged them and showed them all the things that need AA batteries (actually, I only had 2 things using AA batteries on hand, but was showing my dslr too).

I did go through international carrier, where when I had my layover in Miami, I saw all these baggage wrapping services where they tightly wrap your luggage in saran wrap. I thought WTF, why such paranoia? I guess stealing things from the luggage still happens.

I saw this service being offered in Thailand and Indonesia also thought WTF, may need to re visit that thought.

I had stuff stolen when my bags went through the chicago airport. Coincidentally, I read that some baggage handlers were caught and charged with theft. I get the impression theft from bags is quite common. I try to hand carry small/light valuables as they are the easiest to steal and perhaps easy for the traveller to not notice its absence.

I never put anything valuable in checked bags. Computers, regs, mask, etc all go in carryon. The lugging through airports is worth not having it ripped off by some TSA goon or baggage handler. Stuff I can replace cheaply or easily is all that goes in checked. Clothes and fins, wetsuit boots is about it. For warm water I can get all my gear in a roller backpack and decided long ago that since I don't shoot professionally I don't need more than a P&S camera for the stuff I want to shoot. More and more I am also leaning to not doing trips outside the US. That way if necessary I can ship the big stuff to my destination beforehand and use the same service to send it and any souveniers back. As much as I'd like to go to Bonaire again or to the Bahamas it is just not worth the hassle. And since I prefer wrecks to reefs staying in the US makes more sense. Unless I could get a trip to Scapa Flow or Truk Lagoon of course. Then it would be worth the hassle. Otherwise I don't see the attraction these days.

It's a shame we can't trust those we have to deal with concerning our luggage. I mean, we have no choice and yet we have no protection. I haven't done any dive travel in the past few years (I live on an island), but when I do, I always photograph my gear and put a packing list inside the suitcase. I carry another list in my carry on. When dealing with clothes, I put them in a big ziplock bag. I don't like the thought of TSA agents pawing through my clean (or dirty) clothes. They can pick up the bag, squeeze it and look at it, but there is no need to open it. I don't leave anything loose in the suitcase. If they want to steal my stuff, I make it challenging and I have proof what's inside. I pin the packing list to the lining of the luggage and sometimes I even photograph that too. I have never had anything missing from my luggage.

Back
Top Bottom