Uwatec smart tec dive computer... still good or too old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AandK

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if a uwatec/scubapro smart tec dive computer with transmitter is still good, or was it good a few years ago, but a bit old now? I have an opportunity to purchase on secondhand with box and manuals quite cheap. Or would it be better to buy a current model?

Any opinions or help please?

Thanks for your help in this matter.

if it's cheap and has what you need, go for it.

If you are buying from the original owner and they registered it- get them to have the batteries replaced. It should be free to them.

The much newer Galileo computers use the exact same transmitter, and use the same decompression algorithm--plus the addition of some workload factors of dubious worth. There is no reason not to use the Smart Tec if it is in good condition. A newer computer will look nicer but probably won't work any better!

Get it if it is priced right, but make sure the battery is good, or get the seller to have it replaced before the sale. As merxlin said, it's free for the original owner but you'll pay a bunch for it.

Update:

OK, so i bought the computer, had all manuals and hard case with transmitter. No scratches or signs of wear. The original owner was quite anal about keeping it in good condition. Now had a bit of a play with it and i have a couple of questions.

First, the service icon is on. Obviously this means it needs a service, but is that all? Does it indicate a fault?

The battery is at 98% but i dont believe this to be correct. When i go to the log book and flick through all the entries, the screen dims a fair bit like its got a flat battery.

Also, when i press the illumination button, it only flicks on for an instant and goes straight off again, until ive used it for a while, then the light starts working again and properly. I think this is also a symptom of a flat battery?

Any help please?

Thanks

Sounds like a bad battery to me.

I just rang scubapro in Australia and the tech said that the battery indicator of 98% will be wrong because it has not been dived with for a while. The battery percentage only works if its been used regularly. He said that the battery sounds like its flat and to get a local dive shop to send it in. The local dive shop who is a scubapro dealer said they will send it in even though im not the original owner as long as it was purchased in Australia, which it was.

Thanks for your help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom