UWATEC SmartCOM - Some Questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard that all dives ever done on a computer are stored in the memory chip (all computers) even if you ocan delete them so they don't show up when scrolling through them on the computer. This is so that if you have an accident, like stated above, the manufacture can unlock them and see if equipment faliure was the cause or diver error, or if the diver was diving beyond their training level.

~Jon

Here is the official reply I got from Uwatec/ScubaPro regarding the test dives:

The 7 log dives are the test dives done at our factory. There is a way to reset these dives but this can only be done at our office.

Jon M. once bubbled...
I've heard that all dives ever done on a computer are stored in the memory chip (all computers)

Definitly not. There is not that much memory available in DCs. They will, however, do a 'rolling log' to store the last dives. The new Uwatec Smart Pro will store the last 100 hours of diving which is much more than was available with the older Aladin models. -- I've no information about other brands of DC, but it is unlikely that any of these will have a longer 'hidden' memory.

Because the nonvolatile memory hold also calibration data (environment pressure sensor, tank pressure sensor, temperature sensor) it is also unlikely that you can do a 'factory reset' yourself.

Tillomar

Juat curious of the price of this wrist mount unit?
I am in the market for a new computer and would like a nitrox compatable one. There jsut isn't a dealer in my immediate area. other option is in the Suunto line. I am in Canda but a usd quote is as good as any, just let me know which currency.
Thanks a bunch
Mike

BUBBLETRIBE once bubbled...
Juat curious of the price of this wrist mount unit?
[...]
I am in Canda but a usd quote is as good as any, just let me know which currency.

Uwatec Smart Pro wrist DC:
Mail Order in Europe: around 370 Euro

Hi,

did anybody managed to use Smart Com under Linux (possibly using Wine)?

Thanks, Petr

All ot the Smart Com consoles are not disconnectable. The non-disconnectable units have the black rubber boot on them. Yours is complete. I just deleted the factory dives and they have not been replaced by laterer up/down? loadings. I don't remember if there is an option to only load new dives like there was on the old Uwatecs. I wonder if the 40% rating is a SP cover our butt deal. The computer will handle much higher concentrations. If not there must be another hose available. Of course we'll have to take out a loan to buy one!

Joe

TheAce once bubbled...
I am new on this board. And I appologise if I am asking questions that were already asked before, even though I searched the boards beore posting...
[/B]
No worries :)

My SmartCOM is a quick disconnect model (are they all quick dissconect?) and it connects to the hose with a metal connector (see the picture attached). On the UWATEC site the Smartcom is shown with a sort of a black rubber connector. Is that a protector and I didn't get it? or is that a different model?
That is a different model. You can either get permanently connected or quick-connect. I preferred the quick connect as I was able to more easily transport my smartcom to my desk, and I liked it in the nice protective bag.

2nd question, it is written that the hose that comes with the smartcom is good for only up to 40% oxygen. Well, I might be asking questions that are not yet relevant for me (I will do my Nitrox course only at the end of september), the course I am planing to do is the ANDI level 2 - CSU Complete Safe Air User and I know we will learn to use up to 50% mix. What is there to be done? Change the hose?? I wasn't offered an alternative hose in the store...

I just got off the phone w/ Scubapro, and they said they don't make one but there is the possibility you could get something third party...but they don't make one. With 50%, you are going to be hitting 1.4PP02 at 85ft of depth...getting kind of prohibitive. Typically that gas would only be used as deco gas.

3rd, is it possible to use the smartcom dissconnected from the hose just as a diving computer not air-integrated? Can it be safely submersed in the water or just wet while dissconnected?

Yes. I've had mine in a bucket of water in a hyperbaric chamber before. It doesn't hurt it.

4th and last question by now :) , my smartcom came with 7 dives (by the data of that dives it looks as factory testing), can I reset the smartcom's logbook so it'll be clear and won't appear on the computer itself and on my desktop in the SmartTrak software? (I delete the dive for SmartTrak's log but it keeps getting them again from the smartcom again) something like a factory reset?

They are the "test dives" put onto the SmartCom. Can't really get rid of them - you can't delete any dives. If you sync your SmartCom with smarttrak, and then delete the dives out of smarttrak they shouldn't come back.....I'd contact Scubapro for some assistance with that.

Thanks in advance for helping me out. And excuse my bad English...
No problem!

Gotta love the SmartCom! They are not all quick disconnect. You can get them either way.

Deleting the factory dives in SmartTrak works just fine.

I didn't know that you could use it without the hose. Learn something new everyday. I'm not sure why you would want to though, as the air integration enables a lot of valuable features. Keep in mind you'll need to add an SPG and depth gauge if you do not use the air integration feature.

40% oxygen is pretty much the limit on most factory gear. I'm not sure, but you might need to Oxygen clean your whole system if you are going to be using 50%. I'd look into that. A fire underwater in your regulator is pretty damn scary!

Colin Berry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom