V Nose Block for OceanReef masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MidwestDiver1994

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I dive both the OTS Guardian and the OceanReef G.Divers masks. Each have their pros and cons. However, I have always favored the V Style nose block from the OTS guardian and really disliked the nostril blocks from the OceanReef.

The issue with the OceanReef is that by just blocking the nostrils the Valsalva maneuver has to inflate the nostrils and the estuation tubes. For me, I have small estuation tubes and the easiest place for the air to escape is to find it's way out from under the nostril block rather than pressurize the estuation tubes.

upload_2020-10-23_16-28-10.png

Recently I prototyped and produced a V style block for the OceanReef that resembles the OTS block and so far I am very pleased with it. The black is a soft rubber so it collapses and makes a nice seal around the nose and the nostrils rather than inflate the lower nasal cavity.

The height is adjustable in the same way as the stock bracket. The depth is adjustable by adjusting the two screws under the rubber V block.
upload_2020-10-23_16-31-6.png

The V block just presses onto the posts with a snug friction fit for easy removal.
upload_2020-10-23_16-34-38.png

Here is the first working prototype with a white bracket. I plan to have the bracket remade in black.
upload_2020-10-23_16-29-33.png

IMO, this really makes the G.Diver enjoyable for me to dive with again. Anyway, I hope someone finds this interesting.

Attachments

• proto.jpg
    proto.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 115
Nice work.

Have you considered molding / casting that nose block in some sort of silicone elastomer?

Those in my masks, are a fairly rigid rubber; are similarly V-shaped; and are quite comfortable; but that plastic prototype looks brutal on the nose . . .

It's not plastic. The v-block is made from rubber (see description). The only thing that is plastic is the bracket.

upload_2020-10-25_8-41-30.png

s-l1600-1.jpg
My apologies; I thought it was --based upon the striations -- whatever was the most common material used in 3-D printing. Here is a shot of the Valsalva Nose-block -- worst cocktail name, ever -- for the Poseidon Atmosphere FFM.

Must have been the adult beverages, last night; didn't catch that rubber reference . . .

I modified my design to actually use the OTS rubber block. Works great. Problem is the OTS blocks are silly expensive. But it is a one time expense.
PXL_20220820_210215775.jpg

This is such a great idea.. know these postings are old, figured there would be a new product on the market for this by now. I've got an OTS nose block kit coming, gonna try to fab up something and fit it in my Ocean Reef FFM. Also looking for Ocean Reef Equalizer extensions if anyone knows where I can find them.

I'd have to say it has really improved my ocean reef mask. If you end up needing a bracket mount PM me.

Awesome... I appreciate that! Looks like the trickery will be bending up the wire stand for it. I'll probably just cut the back plate from a small sheet of plexiglass and mount the wire stand to that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom