v42 proton metal or v32 prestige ntt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackcloud

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone tell me if the v42 is worth the money? I was offered a good deal on the v32 and was wondering if I am better off spending the extra money. I have heard that the two are essentially the same.

The V32 is a very good 1st stage. It is the same first stage as the proton EI, without the extreme cold water kit. But still a good cold water reg. The V32 Prestige come with a plastic 2nd stage, but over all it is a very good reg. The V42 proton is mares' top of the line. V32 Prestige is worth getting if you get a good deal on one.

The V32 is a great 1st stage. The M42 is slightly smaller/lighter.
The V32 uses the Spherical Core Seat and Poppet while the newer M42T used the newer TriMaterial Poppet - but you can upgrade the V32 to the newer poppet on your first service.

I dive a V32 with Proton Ice 2nds and it is great. My wife had a V32 with the plastic Proton 2nds and it was fine, but she got a V42 with Proton Metal 2nds and says it breathes much better. Admittedly, her plastic protons needed tuning - but the metal bodied 2nds do seem to breathe better.

On the bench, there is no difference - in the water, I can't tell you, since she won't let me near her reg.

You can't go wrong with either - my only suggestion is get the metal 2nds (either Proton Metals or Proton Ice).

Of course neither breathes as well as my PRAM double hose.

The Prestige 32 NTT that comes with the 32 1st is a technopolymer, but the "NTT" uses a ceramic mix in the compound which greatly increases the thermal conductivity. It can be used in cold water, not as good as all metal, but much greater than standard plastic.

You call it a V32, but if it is with the Prestige NTT it should already be an MR32 and not need to be upgraded.

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom