VA Beach deep dive advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmmeenehan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need some advice on VA Beach diving.
I just got back from the Florida Keys with my Boy Scout troop where they completed all the dives needed for their PADI Advanced Open Water certification EXCEPT for the deep dive (60-100'). They got their OW certification here in Northern Virginia with 5 mil wetsuits and then got spoiled with the 85 degree water in the Keys.

Our options for doing the required deep dive are either in Millbrook quarry or down to VA Beach.

I know what conditions are like at Millbrook (cold, dark).

My question is, what are water temps like at VA Beach at 60-100' and what is the general cost of a dive there. Any suggested operators?
thanks for the info,
Mike Meenehan

Lake Rawlings should suffice if all you need is to attain 60 feet. I have personally been down to 66 feet there, and I was physically laying on the bottom of the "blast hole" to do it. The water is cold down there, probably mid 60's this time of year, but vis is OK and it is a very easy place to dive. Just did my AOW and Nitrox there this past weekend.

Rob

Don't know about VA beach but another option in Dutch Springs. They have a deep platform at 60 feet. You can do skills there and then drop down off it to about 70' and see the old pump house and work your way up the pipes. Dutch Springs also has hot showers and bathrooms with running water.

I also like Lake Rawlings but traffic back to the DC area can really add to your trip on Sunday.

Would 70 ft be considered a "deep" dive by PADI standards?

Ice9:
Would 70 ft be considered a "deep" dive by PADI standards?

Technically, yes. Anything deeper than 60' is 'deep'. However, the objective is to get to a depth that impairment might occur due to narcosis.

Dive Quarters runs a boat, as does Lynnhaven. Water temps should be 50s at depth and vis can range from 2-50 or more. I have heard of warmer and colder, Drewski and RAD could tell you better, or one of the shops. As for a warm dive Mt Mud (Mt Storm, WV) is usually about 82 or so at 90' right now. Vis can vary significantly, but there is a platform at 54 ft and 89ft. And it is an altitude dive. Not my favorite, but a lot of instructors use it due to warmth.
-J

Bringing a group of Boy Scouts I would probably dive with Lynnhaven as Capt. Steve who runs Big Time with which Dive Quarters charters can be quite colorful. He is a great guy & Capt. & I would not hesitate to go out with him.
Lynnhaven also has a bigger boat where as Big Time is limited to 6 divers.
As far as deep I would shoot for the Morgan at about 100fsw & a good dive, but water temps will be mid 50s. They also run to the Tug which sits in 70fsw which also would qualify for depth, & temps might creep into the 60s. Vis would drop a little probably.

Hey Robert- long time no hear. I knew you would have an answer. 4 of us are trying to get back to the Cof H, maybe November? I am in Morehead 23-26 Aug, and Sept 7-9, and Oct 5-8.. all with the Mutiny. I also need to get over to Tuckerton.......how about you?
-J

Hi Jay, right now I'm in upstate NY diving in Lake Erie, did 2 dives today & doing 2 tomorrow. Middle of Sept. we will be in Italy for 11 days. After that I will have to see how the pocket is feeling, probably a little light. LOL.
Oh & to add to that I just ordered a new Ford Expedition. It will be sweet. My old Bronco which is still in great shape is getting some age & I really don't feel like putting new engines or transmissions in a truck that I will never get the $$$ back out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom