Vale Sven Paepke, you are already missed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

almitywife

Vegemite Mod
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
yesterday Sven Paepke, a true gentleman died during his dive on the Iron Knight

due to this being so sensitive to all, on our local forum there is no condolence thread and i dont frequent Rebreather World often so i would lilke to say here that i thought Sven was a total sweetie, a kind, quite, careful and generous man that always gave his time with good humor and attention.

Thank you to the divers that attempted to save him and for those that continue the search. Gods care to his friends and family......... :(

Dive-Oz Discussion Forums - Fatal Diving Accident
Fatal Diving Accident

Sven Paepke died yesterday (27 October 2007) on a Sydney Project club dive to the wreck known as the Iron Knight in 125m (400ft) of water off Bermagui NSW Australia.

While descending with his buddy, Sven appeared to lose consciousness. Despite his buddys repeated attempts to control Svens buoyancy and re-establish his breathing, Sven and his buddy sank to the bottom in approximately 125m of water. Further attempts by his buddy and another Sydney Project diver failed to re-establish Svens breathing and consciousness, and could not achieve positive buoyancy. With the shot line dragging in the high current, and the divers planned bottom time being exceeded, the difficult decision was made by the two divers to begin their 3.5 hour ascent.

Police advised that they plan to search for Svens body when weather conditions allow.

Until Svens body and gear are recovered, it is likely that the cause of his death will remain unknown. Sven was diving with an Inspiration Classic rebreather.

The Sydney Project is deeply saddened to lose one of its most enthusiastic and active members. Our condolences and thoughts are with Svens family at this difficult time.

Paul Garske
The Sydney Project
28 October 2007

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends and also to the buddies that did everything they could to try to bring him back :(

Sorry to hear .. My thoughts are with his family, his friends, and all those that knew him

Please excuse me for repeating my post from RBW, where Sven administered the blogs.
This one hit close to home, and I rather not try and write another one.

The day turned dark when I got word of Sven being lost at sea,
and am devastated by the loss of one of our own.
The emptyness we felt and shared all over again.

Sven's enthusiasm for diving and our website,
the things he believed in and dreamed of was inspiring.

We lost an ardent member of the staff, full of ideas,
and frequently the calm voice of reason in heated debates.

He was a good man, with his heart in the right place, a good sense of humor,
who dared to dream and was relentless in making those dreams come true.

To those of you downunder, I hope you can find solace in the time Sven spend with you.
You shared with him the freedom and the beauty of your countries,
his passion and a life beyond even that boy' imagination,
growing up behind the iron curtain.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends, especially his wife and
the team members who made the risky attemps to save his life.

thank you stefan

i was talking to one of the divers who was on this trip, and again i hear how generous he was with his time and knowledge

sadly sven's body has yet been recovered..... for his family sake, i havent given up hope

take care everyone

Ah my friend....Keep the faith. Know that we mourn with you even without knowing of this good man. Just the thought you are sad, makes me sad.

This is indeed sad news. I spent sometime underwater with him during the 20,000 Steps Under The Sea event, as he was the next rostered safety diver. A very cool bloke who happily answered my questions about RB's and showed me his set-up.

My condolences to his family.

My condolences to his family and friends.

i was told yesterday that Sydney Project friends have arrived from Melbourne and are diving this weekend, trying to locate Svens body (at these depths, no police unit is trained for this search)

they were not sucessful yesterday but are trying again today

safe diving guys and thank you....... good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom