Value in having two computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like the Aqua Lung i200C I purchased this fall. I also recently bought a used regulator (Legend LX 2016) that came with a Suunto Cobra 3 and compass. I had no intention of keeping the Cobra 3 but other divers have encouraged me to use both, saying things like "never hurts to have a backup," "good to be familiar with two different devices and calculations," etc. I will likely use the Cobra 3 for the first time this weekend in a cold water dive in Southern Illinois.

I try to be fairly zen when diving and like to have a minimalist setup, so I don't think I want to have another screen to decipher. A simple stainless steel analog gauge sounds fine to me and I just sell the Cobra 3.

Thoughts?

Other info: I received my Advanced Open Water in 2005, but have only gotten back into diving this year; only done 25 dives to this point; will primarily be doing warm water, travel dives, but also some local cold water dives here in the Midwest; don't anticipate ever being a "tech" diver besides possibly taking a cave certification sometime.
It's nice to have a backup computer, and when I go on a dive vacation I always take a backup. The problem is the Cobra 3 I believe is still the old conservative algorithm especially on repetitive diving and if you're following a more liberal computer you may end up with the Cobra locking out on you. This happened to me years ago when I was using a Galileo as my primary and a Vyper as a backup.

If I was going on a dive vacation that I spent a few grand for, I'd be buying a backup computer before I left. For my normal diving, I don't bother.

Bob

Again, thanks all for the response. I did a test dive with the Cobra 3 yesterday, and think I'll really enjoy it.

Back
Top Bottom