"Value Priced" Certification in Atlanta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stephen,
Diver's Supply here in Macon (And I'm pretty sure the D/S shops in the Atlanta area) run a 99 dollar special for the classroom/confined portion. Of course, she will need her mask, fins, snorkel, weights and weight belt. And, you can get the home course (that needs to be completed prior to the classroom) for about 50 bucks.. After she's done with the confined, if you don't want to pay for a Florida trip, then get a referral so she can do her check dives in the Bahamas. No idea what a referral dive would cost in the Bahamas, but it might be cheaper than the trip to Florida with the shop.
Divers Supply

Maybe Diving is not rocket science......but it IS one of those sports where your mistakes can kill you.

There are ways to get certified in the Atlanta area if you don't mind getting cold and diving in Lake Lanier.

the K

well, i say let her do the Discover Scuba. IF after that she wants to follow through with her OW cert bad enough she will find a way to make it happen. i work a part time job just to finance my hobbies. i guess it just depends on how bad you want something. here in Maryland my OW class ran me $325 if i remember correctly. i dont ant to even get into how much i have wrapped up in gear. good luck which route you go.

DaleHall:
Stephen,
Diver's Supply here in Macon...

Thanks for the suggestion, Dale. That's sounds like exactly what we were looking for.

I appreciate the helpful responses from everyone! I certainly don't want to do anything unsafe, but I also know that you can get $10 Advil and $2 Ibuprofen (and aside from the sugar coating, they're not much different). Different people learn differently (and have different levels of need)... One size wetsuit doesn't fit all. :wink:

----

I'm more interested in a Cert course over an "Intro to Scuba" course for two reasons: 1. I'd like to dive with her as my buddy. 2. I'd rather not pay an extra $100 for myself to join the group. Anyone know if those are valid assumptions?

i will not take anything at a insult however i just warn that no one should ever cut corners in order to dive or any other sport your stupidity to think you or anyone could dive after a 10 minute course your attitude is exactly why people get hurt your attitude is a danger to yourself and to anyone that is your buddy

get the correct training hope you dont take anyone else down the path you have taken and whoever would give a 10 minute class for diving should never be a instructor for anything

StephenR:
It just seems like diving is very intuitive. There are safety considerations, but especially with dive computers nowdays -- you don't need to spend months and tons of money to be competent underwater.

Another thing that seems very intuitive is driving. Most of us can get the hang of it within a few minutes behind the wheel by the time we turn 16. However, in order to get your license in most states you need to take drivers ed. The reason for this, as in SCUBA, is that you have a professional working with you to correct any mistakes you may be making as well as helping you to make you proficient. The price of SCUBA can be intimidating but its well worth it. Good luck to you!

StephenR:
Thanks for the suggestion, Dale. That's sounds like exactly what we were looking for.

I appreciate the helpful responses from everyone! I certainly don't want to do anything unsafe, but I also know that you can get $10 Advil and $2 Ibuprofen (and aside from the sugar coating, they're not much different). Different people learn differently (and have different levels of need)... One size wetsuit doesn't fit all. :wink:

----

I'm more interested in a Cert course over an "Intro to Scuba" course for two reasons: 1. I'd like to dive with her as my buddy. 2. I'd rather not pay an extra $100 for myself to join the group. Anyone know if those are valid assumptions?

Not quite sure what model/perspective you're working with? Generic is just as good as a Brand Name? I learn quicker than other folks, so I need less time model? There is a terrific model/adage out there which is called "you get what you pay for". IMO I don't screw around with safety, and education related to my personal safety.

X - Instructor Trainer

StephenR:

Don't know about the Bahamas. I know the costs at one of the cheapest resorts in the most expensive resort area in Hawaii; intro dive is $89, certified diver tag-along is $75 ($69 w/gear). If the intro diver wants to get certified, total cost is $449 ($89 is applied), the intro counts as first pool session and first dive. My estimate is 32 hours of the students time to get certified. A week long dive certification trip is not hard for some. Horsetrading spouses have negotiated $65/$59 tag-alongs (min 3 req). Marriot rewards could be used for the room but few of my guests are poor.

No gear purchase is required, many divers wait until familiar with various rental gear to make quality purchases. If you were going to dive with a guide on your trip, here this would only be slightly more expensive than just certified guided dives with only slightly less time diving in OW (skills on OW dives 2-4). No need to spend the money back home on certification. If your planning just tank & weight rental shore diving without a guide and staying in a hostel, my example may not apply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom