"Value Priced" Certification in Atlanta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StephenR, your first dives can be really frustrating. You're doing a lot of things that are, at first, very unnatural. Just breathing with your head underwater gets a lot of people. I know it got me at first.

The classes aren't cheap, but you're paying for what is a luxury in all cases (maybe a career option for a few, but I think there's specialized courses for those seeking to be commercial divers, right?) whereas automobiles tend to be seen as a necessity in most places I've lived. There's a lot of competition for driving, but diving is more specialized, and thus more expensive.

JimLap:
Just reread this after posting. Answer: Only if you find one willing to lose his instructor's cert and have his insurance cancelled:11: . I'd like to know where you got trained that even put an inkling that this kind of corner cutting was possible in your head:confused: !

If I didn't have a 6 week old baby at home I'd do it. Provided the quarry has a location that can qualify as confined water and another area that qualifies as Open water I can easily teach a single person to dive in a short time, especially if they are a comfortable swimmer and athletic.

They still need to meet standards but it can be done easily with the right student in a weekend (one on one), my biggest concern would be long term retention of skills if the individual didn't dive soon after certification.

cerich:
If I didn't have a 6 week old baby at home I'd do it. Provided the quarry has a location that can qualify as confined water and another area that qualifies as Open water I can easily teach a single person to dive in a short time, especially if they are a comfortable swimmer and athletic.

They still need to meet standards but it can be done easily with the right student in a weekend (one on one), my biggest concern would be long term retention of skills if the individual didn't dive soon after certification.

I feel the same way. Can teach in a weekend provided student comfortable in water,not for everyone though.Time can be saved if he does his reading/knowledge reviews /video at home.BUT still looking at what he wants to spend..For one on one I get $500. for confined water and academics..ow training dives for one on one $250..and then you have the costs of the training materials..Looks like the OP wants to spend less than $100. overall for everything..

His $50/hour offer caught my eye. Lets see best case is one hour in class(paperwork/test) at least 3 hours CW and 5 hours for OW. That is 9 hours@$50 bucks so $450. I see no way that best case will happen in real life, I also charge 1/2 rate for travel plus expenses .

Right in line with what you charge....

I actually charge a little more for a private one on one ($750)

We both charge same numbers..I wrote $500. for cw and academics plus $250. for ow training dives=$750.This is one on one..Much less with a class of 3/4 students on a per head basis..

Well its cool you are a "gifted" diver. But believe it are not everyone isn't. Call every local shop around and tell them your on a budget and can they do it for x dollars what you've been quoted less a few bucks.

You get what you pay for. If need be put the trip to a later date if you want to dive with her. Theres no cutting corners here.

jcwhitingjr:
If I may suggest for the Atlanta area, check out Seaventures in Roswell on Holcomb Bridge Rd.

My fiancee and I are taking our certification course later this month for 200 bucks. It's 3 days minus the OW certification dives. For those dives we are going on their trip to Key West Memorial Day weekend.

They have 3 classes between now and the first week of May according to their class schedule.

What sold us on them was that they had their own indoor heated pool for the CW stuff.

Their web site is www.seaventures.com if you want to check it out.

Seaventures will never see another penny of my money and i would advise anyone in Atlanta to look elsewhere for their scuba needs. I suppose you'll be fine there if you're willing to pay top price for the most expensive equipment and don't mind being lectured by the owner if you dare to use (or buy) equipment from another dealer, but IMHO there are just too many other quality dive shops around to put up with the idiocy of WF.

Poor people can really enjoy snorkeling - I did for years.

I think learning how to dive is also risking your life. You are better off paying twice as much for an instructor that you know will not pass you till you have learn all the skills needed to dive safely. If that takes 10 pool sessions before your OW dive, it is worth the price he/she will charge.

Don't skimp on the education, as the hospital deductibles might be more than 10 times the money you'll save.

I'm sticking with my snorkeling suggestion. The OP sounds like someone who would also forgo DAN insurance, maybe get bent in the Bahamas from diving beyond minimum training, end up sucking Oxygen because he couldn't afford the chamber ride. Or lost at sea because he didn't want to buy a afety sausage.

My daughter and son-in-law can't afford to do scuba right, so when we go to the ocean together - I just take snorkeling gear, and we have fun. Good fins, mask, snorkel, and inflatable vest can add up to significant money for anyone who says they're poor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom