Valve drill and xstream regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frogman82

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just curious - the post dive maintenance tag in my regulator case says that the xstream regulator must be rinsed in fresh water while pressurized so that water doesn't get a chance to get into the first stage. But what happens during a valve shutdown drill, where the 2nd stage is purged empty after the first stage has been shut down? Since this is an upstream regulator my initial thought is that water in fact will go up thru the LP hose to the first stage.
Any comments?

I called Poseidon USA and asked this very question a while ago and I was assured that water does not enter the mechanism. I spoke to Jerry Price, their US Director of Service and Training.

I also dove them and performed many valve drills. I never had any water enter the mechanism. Your mileage may vary.

Same problem, more or less, with any regulator. Depressurize the system underwater and you run the risk of water getting past the 2nd stage valve and entering the hose, gravity does the rest. It's a small risk but we do see it on the repair bench with some regularity. The risk is mitigated (but not eliminated) when you re-pressurize the system and run gas through it, forcing any water that got into the hose back out through the 2nd stage. This is more of an issue with stage/deco rigs than back gas, which tend to be left valved off for extended periods with the hoses in a nearly horizontal position and can have the purge button bumped repeatedly.

Minimize the problem potential: When you're doing a valve drill, breathe the regulator down but don't overdo it - when the gas is gone, you're done. Don't hit the purge button when the system isn't pressurized. For bottles you're slinging, consider feathering the valve open just a smidgen to allow the system to re-pressurize if you accidentally bump the purge. Blow the system after you re-pressurize it. Rinse well (really well with lots of running water) after every dive. Overhaul your regulators regularly - like most problems, early detection equates with better outcomes. Pretty much the same stuff you've been hearing since OW.

Thanks you guys! I guess my concern with water ingress in the first stage due to the upstream design isnt that much to worry about then.

Back
Top Bottom