Valve install issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slym

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys

So I finally got my doubles together!!! Problem though :(

The story: bought my L/post and R/post plus Isolator from DGX (great customer service by the way) and then had my LDS install the valves and isolator to my tanks I was joining.

The Issue: the isolator was stuck closed :O so when I open my R/ post no air went to my left post (with left post valve shut) vice verca. So if I turn my right on, with isolator open, and left post shut off my pressure gauge would not pressurize, but I could breath fine from my right post reg.

The investigation: I've now taken everything apart and blown into the isolator by itself both open and closed, it works as it should. I've blown into both posts individually open/closed and they work as they should. none of the parts seem broken.

Could the install by my LDS be bad? I noticed the one side of the isolator was snug to the valve stem off the one post, should there be thread showing? Any ideas help.

If the threads on the cross bar are not within 1 maybe max 2 threads showing left and right your LDS did it wrong. Typically one to 3 threads will show depending on the tanks & bands. That one side was tight and the other not, makes me suspect pretty much everything else that they could screw up...

I would check the female L and R side that accept the crossbar. Is there debris, plastic cap etc in there blocking the gas flow? If that there is no debris in those holes, close the valves. Can you blow into those female crossbar openings and then into the tank? You should be able to.

Last resort, take all three knobs off with a slotted screwdriver. Remove the bonnet nuts with a wrench. Use the valve stem to remove the HP seats. Now everything should be free and clear...

I've assembled doubles for a while now and its not my favorite thing to do. It's not difficult to do but one must be real careful not to cross thread the isolator. Nice and easy does it and with any resistance, one must back off and check their work.

When you took the things apart, did you notice the orings dislodged potentially blocking things? Is it possible the isolator valve was turned the wrong way to open?

I can barely follow your post but I think your manifold works as it should.

Left and right posts function just like normal tank valves. The isolator just connects the tanks. Closing or opening the left or right posts does not have any bearing on if the tanks are connected or not. Only closing the isolator will stop gas flowing between the two tanks.

I can barely follow your post but I think your manifold works as it should.

Left and right posts function just like normal tank valves. The isolator just connects the tanks. Closing or opening the left or right posts does not have any bearing on if the tanks are connected or not. Only closing the isolator will stop gas flowing between the two tanks.

PfcAJ... I might be a fool.... read your post a few times over and realized that I might be very wrong in how I understand things work. Played with my tanks some more and I may have done all this work because of a lack of understanding :/ now I feel dumb lol

Atleast I learned something

PfcAJ... I might be a fool.... read your post a few times over and realized that I might be very wrong in how I understand things work. Played with my tanks some more and I may have done all this work because of a lack of understanding :/ now I feel dumb lol

Atleast I learned something
Can’t be a fool if you’re able to learn :)

The Issue: the isolator was stuck closed :O so when I open my R/ post no air went to my left post (with left post valve shut) vice verca. So if I turn my right on, with isolator open, and left post shut off my pressure gauge would not pressurize, but I could breath fine from my right post reg.

EDIT: Doh. It's been too long since I dove a twinset, and I should have thought longer before posting. Move along, nothing to see here :wink:

Last edited:
But the second part describes a real problem: Isolator OPEN, right valve open, left valve closed -> you SHOULD still be able to breathe from the left reg (using gas from the right tank and valve). IF you can't, something is wrong.

@dberry if what you are saying is true than you would not be able to isolate a reg in the event of a free flow. PfcAJ is correct the manifold is operating as it should.

Back
Top Bottom