Valve leaking around DIN to Yoke Insert plug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an imperial and metric multitool in my kit, between the two, I have most everything.

Because of the valve issue, I now have a folding metric allen wrench set in my save-a-dive kit.

mm

Here are some pics. Apologies if some are blurry. I'm not sure what kind of corrosion I should be looking for. Are the valve parts stainless steel or aluminum?

Attachments

• IMG_0232.JPEG
    IMG_0232.JPEG
    36 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0234.JPG
    IMG_0234.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0235.JPG
    IMG_0235.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 170
  • insert.JPG
    insert.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 176
  • insert2.JPG
    insert2.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 167
  • insert3.JPEG
    insert3.JPEG
    76.3 KB · Views: 166
The tech told me that I need to pull the whole insert thing out after every dive or two, rinse the insides (and the insert itself) with freshwater, air dry, and then put it back together.

Here are some pics. Apologies if some are blurry. I'm not sure what kind of corrosion I should be looking for. Are the valve parts stainless steel or aluminum?
I believe it is chrome plated brass. In those photos, you are missing the DIN oring.

One o'ring appears to be missing and this is the cause for the leak!!

Lots of advice and I agree with some of it. :D

Lots of variances on the insert. However, I have found a hand held impact driver to be invaluable to getting stuck inserts out.

81ETwFtvgpL._SL1500_.jpg

It uses a 3/8" square drive so you can use any hex that uses the same drive. Don't use any penetrating oil, just keep a left hand torque on the drive and hit the end with a hammer. I've never lost a valve or an insert this way.

Once out, I use this on the tank to clean out the scuz.

71DTxmAzWPL._SL1500_.jpg

Like @markmud, I do lube the insert, but not the o-ring.

Not too bad in my opinion.
Definitely fixable. Once out, clean them well. I've used vinegar before with good results.I like the tool @The Chairman suggested.

I've also seen what @boulderjohn mentions. They've just never seen one.

Not too bad in my opinion.
Definitely fixable. Once out, clean them well. I've used vinegar before with good results.I like the tool @The Chairman suggested.

C...

Tool's nice...but be mindful of the fact you're impacting against soft brass...on a relatively thin walled DIN valve...an ''L'' shaped Allen key...with the levering end extended with a ''cheater'' tube...places no impacting force on the head of the valve...

Brushing out the threads is a good idea but a stiff bristled tooth brush would be just as effective...the twisted steel end on that rotary brush will chew right through the soft brass at the rear of the valve...

This isn't NASCAR...

Best...

Warren

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom