Vancouver Island Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunnyboy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
To introduce this topic: A general discussion of diving on Vancouver Island, open to everyone.

Vancouver Island is situated off the western coast of Canada, just north of Washington State in the USA. Due to ocean currents, our weather is pretty temperate, allowing us to dive year-round. The northern waters feature an abundance of life, from the very small (various invertebrates) to the very large (whales).

We have several artificial reefs created from sunken ships, which now teem with life and are quite fun to dive. Shore dives are abundant and offer sights for divers at all skill levels.

Welcome!

-S

I guess the first order of business should be vis conditions at various sites. I know the herring spawn can start any time after the beginning of March so vis will go from spectacular as it was last weekend at Tyee to zero in a matter of days.
Please comment on any local dives here.

Vis report

February 7th
Discovery Pass between Campbell River and Quadra Island - 40'
February 9th
Moulds Bay SE side Quadra Island - 70'

Great dive at Tyee today. Vis was about 20-30ft. Water was pretty cold on the surface, but nice at depth. Got some good pictures as well.

-S

Great dive at Tyee today. Vis was about 20-30ft. Water was pretty cold on the surface, but nice at depth. Got some good pictures as well.

-S

Hope to be healthy by next weekend. I don't know how long this great vis will hold up.

Hope to be healthy by next weekend. I don't know how long this great vis will hold up.

Is 20 to 30ft at Tyee great vis during winter month? We get between 40 to 100ft usually during the winter in Victoria mostly in the Inlet but for some reason the viz this year stayed around 40ft max.

Cheers

Al

Is 20 to 30ft at Tyee great vis during winter month? We get between 40 to 100ft usually during the winter in Victoria mostly in the Inlet but for some reason the viz this year stayed around 40ft max.

Cheers

Al

Lots of rain lately so vis has been spotty. We have the annual herring spawn expected in March. Things go downhill after that starts.

Did a pool dive...wish the vis was bad...damn those whales and sealions doing the aqua-fit class...:D LMAO
I am going to make sure my mask is fogged the next time.

Lots of rain lately so vis has been spotty. We have the annual herring spawn expected in March. Things go downhill after that starts.

Well I do remember that the bad viz we had during the Meg course last year, Madrona was really bad. Tyee was OK. Still it was a blast doing those long 90 mins Tyee to Dolphin dives. That the reason I sold my doubles and bought a RB. :D

Cheers

Al

I've only done a Tyee to Dolphin (and back) dive once (Boxing day), but it was GREAT. Gotta love the RB for that one!

-S

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom