Vancouver Island Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am very lucky to have the chance to be visiting Vancouver Island during first week of July. I have read a lot about diving in the area, and I think it would be a great diving experience. I have experience diving in cold water, ( I currently reside in Ohio), I own all my gear and have been diving frequently for several years.
I have found information on different operators and dive shops but I would appreciate any recommendation you could provide. To be more specific I will be visiting the area on my own and I am pretty flexible on where to go. I have found information on Abyssal dive charters, that has all inclusive packages for single divers at reasonable (?) prices. I do not know if there are similar operators in the area to compare with or how good the diving on Campbell river (Quadra Island) is.
I know it is a lot to ask but any input will be appreciated.
If interested I will be more than happy to provide information on diving around North East Ohio :)
Cheers

Vancouver Island is big. Best diving is considered to be Port Hardy, esp. a site called Browning Wall. Campbell River has good diving and so does Barkeley Sound. Victoria has good shore diving, and an excellent boat diving site is Race Rocks.
If you have more specific questions, then fire away.

Where are all you guys on Buddy finder Im in Comox/Lazo area would love to meet more divers are there any clubs in the Courtenay area? I'm pretty much down for diving alot almost anytime if stupid work dosent get in the way. Dove Tyee cove in parksville last monday great dive even though my drysuit was leaking I still loved it. Vis was about 30'.

Where are all you guys on Buddy finder Im in Comox/Lazo area would love to meet more divers are there any clubs in the Courtenay area? I'm pretty much down for diving alot almost anytime if stupid work dosent get in the way. Dove Tyee cove in parksville last monday great dive even though my drysuit was leaking I still loved it. Vis was about 30'.

There are quite a few of us in the Nanaimo area as well as a large group in Victoria and a smaller group in Port Alberni. These are just the diver's I am aware of - I'm sure there are lots more, and certainly divers up in the Comox/Courtney area.

If you join the forum for Nanaimo Dive Outfitters (NDO) they have a very active 'dive pool' where diver's hook up for dives in the area.

The Dive Outfitters Forum • Index page

Cheers,

-S

p.s. I am not affiliated with any dive store. I'm just a diver. ;-)

Last edited:
There is a fun event going on in Nanaimo on Nov 1 - you could win a Tusa BCD or a Sealife Underwater Camera and strobe among other things. It is The Great Nanaimo Pumpkin Carving Contest and is an extension of the annual underwater pumpkin carving event originally started by Nanaimo Dive Outfitters.

This is the first year for a partnership with the Kidney Foundation to try to help raise money in these difficult times. The event includes a land based contest as well to widen the appeal to anyone who wants to have halloween fun carving pumpkins and winning prizes. The public judge the pumpkins so the more people who come out, the more judges we will have.

Check out the website at Pumpkin Carving | Nanaimo Dive Outfitters for more information. Registration has been requested in advance, but nobody will be turned away. The more the merrier, and the more we can raise for the awareness of kidney disease and the need for organ donation.

not a resident, but you'll find me freediving/spearfishing in the Port McNeil/Telegraph Cove area as often as I can....

The diving is good at China Creek? What did you see? Any other good dives in the Port Alberni area?

The diving is good at China Creek? What did you see? Any other good dives in the Port Alberni area?

At China creek there are two very good dives - there is an artificial reef sunk just offshore (the "immigrant ship") and a really nice wall dive. Both are shore dives from the China Creek campground.

Cheers,

-S

Port Hardy has amazing dive spots and locations. A lot of them you need a charter guide. Viking Adventure Tours knows all the great locations to dive. They supply everything (if needed) also including meals all for a great price. vikingadventuretours.com

Back
Top Bottom